TPG Community

Get online support

How to use Huawei H659 as access point to an Archer vr1600v

timossellis
Level 2

Hi. I recently put NBN at my property and the main modem/router is the Archer vr1600v that came with the instalation. I am thinking of using the previous modem from TPG (H569) as an access point to expand WiFi coverage. The manual on the web for Archer (https://static.tp-link.com/2019/201907/20190731/1910020873_Archer%C2%A0VR1600v(AU)_UG_V1.0.1.pdf) mentions a way using WDS, but the modem I got from TPG has V2 of the software and I cannot locate this function.

Any suggestions on how to use H659 as an extender to Archer vr1600v would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Timos

9 REPLIES 9
Shane

Hi @timossellis ,

Welcome to the community!

We had encountered the same issue before, connecting 3rd party router using our supplied modem/router and it actually work by changing the router's connection mode to "DHCP mode"

You can visit this link for reference. Connect Asus RT-AC88U to Huawei HG659.

Let me know how it will go and should you require further assistance.

Cheers!

timossellis
Level 2

Thanks for your reply @Shane 

Unfortunately, as far as I can read the link you sent me, it talks about the opposite problem that I have. I just want to use my HG532d as a repeater/extender of the wifi offered by the Archer vr1600v. 

The closest instructions I could find are here but I have not succeeded to get it to work. Since both HG532d and the Archer vr1600v are TPG offered routers, I would appreciate it if I could get some instructions on how I can do that.I am sure many customers would benefit from this, it is always nice to use an old router as a repeater

Thanks, Timos

Shane

Hi @timossellis,

Thanks for the additional details. You may also visit this thread.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Netcomm-Wireless-Access-Point-with-TPG-NBN/m-p/35...

Let us know how it will go.

Cheers!

timossellis
Level 2
Thanks for the additional link Shane. Unfortunately this talks about LAN to LAN connection while I am intetested to wirelessly connect the Huawei modem to the TPlink one

Regards
Timos
Shane

You're welcome @timossellis.

We'd like to clarify, do you mean connecting the Huawei modem to TP-Link via WI-Fi link a Wi-Fi repeater?

If yes, unfortunately at the moment we do not have an advance troubleshooting guide on how to configure that but we'll pass this on to our Engineering Team and we'll get back to you as soon as we got a feedback.

Cheers!

timossellis
Level 2
Yes Shane

I would like to find a way of connecting the Huawei modem HG532d to the TP-Link Archer vr1600v via WI-Fi link to turn the HG532d to a Wi-Fi repeater.

Regards
Timos
BasilDV

Hi @timossellis,

There's no option to connect the Huawei modem to the TP-Link via Wireless.

The only option is to use as an access point instead via LAN to LAN connection.

Regards,

BasilDV

timossellis
Level 2
Thanks much @BasilDV

Regards
Timos
Ahra_G

You're very welcome, @timossellis

Feel free to reach out again should any assistance arise. 

Cheers!