Just gone through your accounts,
To solve this issue, Rename your wifi Name, to something different, which you never used
Jack 2.4 G
Jack 5 G
do not connect your devices to both wifi, just choose one (I prefer Jack 5G)
also on your explore delete saved cache and password for 192.168.1.1.
If it is too complicated for you, try a different browser,
example- if you are using chrome work Microsoft explore or firefox,
also, I checked your line, looks like a Great line
|Operational Status||Up||RTX Actual Throughput||30384.0 kbps||99149.0 kbps|
|Service Stability||STABLE||RTX Actual Net Data Rate||30694.0 kbps||100160.0 kbps|
I don't think it's my network name I used at home causing the problem.