TPG Community

Get online support

Is anyone actually running an ASUS ROG GT-AX11000 directly connected to NBN Box (HFC) with TPG?

Species5618
Level 2

I'm looking at purchasing an ASUS ROG GT-AX11000 router to completly replace the TPG supplied TP-Link device, and have the ASUS device directly connected to the NBN box (HFC).  I'm not concerned about loosing TPG VoIP.

However, trying to find a clear example online of anyone who is running an AX11000 unit with TPG directly connected to NBN box (via HFC) is proving to be difficult.  There are to many  mixed reponses out there and its not clear (to me anyway) if this router will have an issue or not.

So if you persoanlly know that this router will work could you please share your setup details.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
BasilDV

Hi @Species5618

Welcome to the Community!

We don't have much information about the ASUS ROG GT-AX11000, but you need to make sure that you can set up the VLAN ID to 2 as it is required for the NBN HFC technology.

You may check this previous thread as it will give you the information you need in setting up a third party device. (Netgear Nighthawk xr700 NBN HFC)

We understand that it asks for a different device, but same configuration is applies to all third party devices.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

BasilDV

Species5618
Level 2

Hi BasilDV,

I’m looking at purchasing one of these routers but first I was hoping to get a definitive answer that it does indeed work with TPG (directly connected to NBN box, HFC) - hence why I specified “anyone actually running” hoping to avoid generic or unproven responses.  I’ve already performed my own online searches and I’m aware of the generic VLAN ID requirements and other settings for use with TPG.  The problem is that there are no clear posts as to someone actually running this with TPG.  In fact, most post suggest that people are having issues but I can’t determine if its human error or an actual problem with the router not capable of meeting TPG requirements when setup as a direct router.

I even tried contacting the vendor but they also couldn’t supply me with an example of someone using this device with TPG.  Anyone I did find using this device was generally using it with another ISP that did not have the VLAN ID restrictions, or were using with TPG but as a bridged device.

I appreciate that you took the time to respond but I’d prefer a reply from someone that is “actually running” this as router with TPG (directly connected to NBN box, HFC).  Otherwise, this thread will simply end up being yet another useless link cluttering the net and wasting people’s time.

Species5618

orbistat
Level 8

@Species5618 wrote:

In fact, most post suggest that people are having issues but I can’t determine if its human error or an actual problem with the router not capable of meeting TPG requirements when setup as a direct router.

Hi @Species5618 I can't answer your question directly although looking through the complete manual and specifications of the router on the Asus AU website it makes no mention of Vlan tagging at all.

There are Vlan settings in the IPTV sub settings on some model Asus routers however what you're looking for is Vlan tagging over Wan so I would not be rushing out to buy the device as it would appear to not support what you need.

Par0666
Level 2
I'm running one with one of these nbn boxes, threw out the iinet box. Works much better.
Species5618
Level 2

Hi @Par0666,

Thanks for the reply.  So are you with TPG or iinet?  I know that TPG owns iinet but I don't think they share the same infrastructure (hence config requirements) so I'd like to confirm that you do indeed have an ASUS GT-AX11000 running on TPG.

Cheers,

Species5618

Par0666
Level 2
No I'm on iinet, but about to change to aussie, they are the fastest I can get out here in regional vic