TPG Community

Get online support

Isn't 5G supposed to be faster?

Lothaer
Level 3
Why is my internet so much slower through 5G?

On 2.4G I'm getting 49 Mbps Down and 18.3 Mbps Up

On 5G I'm getting 8.8 Mbps Down and 1.3 Mbps Up.
5 REPLIES 5
david64
Level 15

Hi @Lothaer . When you connect to your 2.4G and 5G, what is the wifi connection speed for each connection? (When connected, in Settings, tap the connection to show signal strength and speed.) 

The 2.4G has greater range. Too far away, the 5G signal may be too weak for high speed. Do your testing next to the router.

There may be other activity on 5G band slowing your test or interference from surrounding networks.

These are TPG articles for wifi.

Lothaer
Level 3
@david64 which speed test?
Lothaer
Level 3
I just did a speed test on my phone with the Ookla Speed Test App and on my PS4 Pro

2.4G
Ookla Speed Test
32.1Mbps Down
18.9 Mbps Up

PS4 Pro
46.1 Mbps Down
5.0 Mbps Up

5G
Ookla Speed Test
1.73 Mbps Down
1.11 Mbps Up

PS4 Pro
467.6 kbps down
53.0 kbps up

Speed Test via the TPG App does not work at all, it keeps saying Speed Test Unavailable.

I have to say at this rate when my 6 months contract is up I will not be renewing it, TPG so far has been more hassle than it's worth, poor customer service, poor connection heck even the TPG App is mostly useless.

If they want me to renew in 5 Months I'd need to see something special cause at this rate I most definitely am not suggesting them.
david64
Level 15

@Lothaer . I don't know what you mean by "which speed test". You've run a speed test to get those numbers in your first post. I'm talking about the wifi speed between your wifi device and the router. I explained the method for Android; Apple devices might be different.

david64
Level 15

@Lothaer . You can try the speed test at  www.tpg.com.au/support