TPG Community

Get online support

Meaningless modem lights

John2125
Level 2

In summary, the indicator lights don’t indicate what the TPLink VR1600v modem guide says they indicate: they are therefore meaningless!

The modem indicator lights are sometimes on and sometimes off even when the respective function is active.  For example, the Power light may be either on or off even when power is connected and the modem is operating with the phone being used or internet being accessed.  Or, the Internet light may be either on or off even when the internet is being used.  Or, a LAN light may be either on or off when a computer connected to the respective port is turned off.  Or, the Phone light may be on when the phone is on the hook or off when the phone is off the hook.  The Phone indicator light has sometimes been flashing, a mode not mentioned in the the user guide.  While I am posting this question the Power, Internet and WAN lights are off.

Please explain.  Can we have a modem that means what it indicates?

Kind regards.

4 REPLIES 4
tonystork
Level 5

In my observation, LAN, Wi-Fi and Internet light flashes whenever it is being used. Particularly when my PC is connected via LAN while playing/downloading, I noticed that LAN light flashes everytime there an ongoing activity.

It is possible that the modem/router's light specially the home phone liight indicator is different from the actual Modem Guide by TP-Link since TPG supplied a modem/router with a modified firmware.

@John2125 wrote:

In summary, the indicator lights don’t indicate what the TPLink VR1600v modem guide says they indicate: they are therefore meaningless!

The modem indicator lights are sometimes on and sometimes off even when the respective function is active.  For example, the Power light may be either on or off even when power is connected and the modem is operating with the phone being used or internet being accessed.  Or, the Internet light may be either on or off even when the internet is being used.  Or, a LAN light may be either on or off when a computer connected to the respective port is turned off.  Or, the Phone light may be on when the phone is on the hook or off when the phone is off the hook.  The Phone indicator light has sometimes been flashing, a mode not mentioned in the the user guide.  While I am posting this question the Power, Internet and WAN lights are off.

Please explain.  Can we have a modem that means what it indicates?

Kind regards.

John2125
Level 2

Can we have a modem guide that accurately and honestly explains what the respective indicator lights mean when off, on or flashing?  If not then they are meaningless.  Presently, which lights are on and which are off varies through the day regardless of usage.

Kind regards.

Optimus
Level 3

@John2125,

The manual for the TP Link modem should help.

TP Link 1600v

John2125
Level 2

Thanks, Optimus.  I appreciate your contribution.  The link you gave is to the user guide I had already downloaded, but my modem indicator lights operate quite differently to the description in the user guide.  That's why they're meaningless to me.

Kind regards.