TPG Community

Get online support

Move telephone 100 meters from modem

SOLVED Go to solution
lenhend
Level 2

Is it possible these days to extend the telephone wire from a modem 100 meters to another dwelling.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shane

Hi @lenhend

If you're with NBN FTTC,FTTN,HFC the home phone should be connected to the phone port (port 1) you may use long phone cables (any length) it should work and will not affect the performance of the VoIP.

Regards,

The telephone is supplied with an NBN internet connection.
It appears that the telephone today is not like the old service and when it comes out of a modem it does not travel far along the two wires.
In my modem there are ethenel connections and the usual telephone connections.
My telephone came from the telephone connection so I cut it and simply added 100 meters to it. There is only two wires to the phone.
It does not work and I read that it will not work like this because it is not like the old phone systems.
I need to know how can I get it to work when 100 meters from the modem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Shane

Hi @lenhend ,

Welcome to the community! 

It should be okay as the length of phone cable (RJ-11) will not affect to the performance of home phone service.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Regards,

lenhend
Level 2

It appears that the telephone today is not like the old service and when it comes out of a modem it does not travel far along the two wires.
My telephone came from the telephone connection so I cut it and simply added 100 meters to it. There is only two wires to the phone.
It does not work and I read that it will not work like this because it is not like the old phone systems.

Shane

Hi @lenhend

If you're with NBN FTTC,FTTN,HFC the home phone should be connected to the phone port (port 1) you may use long phone cables (any length) it should work and will not affect the performance of the VoIP.

Regards,