TPG Community

Get online support

My Archer Modem intermittently dropping the 5GHz broadcasting. While 24GHz remains ok.

sk82nil8
Level 2

Hi,
For months now I intermittently have problems with my modems 5GHz  SSID.   It completely drops out and cannot connect to it.  The 5GHz lights on the modem are on. and the 2.4GHz remains working with no issues. However I require the high speed of the 5GHz.  Often a modem reboot resolves the issue.  But this has been happening too often now to keep doing this so often
There is either a problem with the modem or the service.  Can somebody please fix this for me?

Archer VR1600v v1.0
Firmware Version: Archer VR1600v v1.0 00000000

8 REPLIES 8
BasilDV

Hi @sk82nil8 

The WiFI signal is prone to interference, which may cause the connection to drop or will give you a slow connection.

We've created some articles that you may try aside from rebooting the device.

Let us know how it goes.

BasilDV

david64
Level 15

Hi @sk82nil8 . Next time this happens, can you check if the 5Ghz signal can still be detected by the wifi device. Move closer to router if necessary. Has the signal disappeared or just reduced strength?

You say "Often a modem reboot resolves the issue." What do you do if reboot doesn't fix it?

What is the Build number of the router firmware?

sk82nil8
Level 2

I understand channel interferecne and that is not the cause.

I'm not having problems with the 2.4GHz band.   it is only the 5GHz band that drops out, and no other Neighbours wifi is even close to the 5GHz channel mine is on.

The SSID completely drops out, not broadcasting at all,  can't even find it when trying to connect.  and it is 2 metres away from the modem.

BasilDV

Hmm. You may need to try to factory reset the modem/router if you've already tried to change the WiFi channels.

Performing this will set the settings you've personalised to its default, but you may set it up again.

Once done, observe your connection and let us know if it continues to drop.

BasilDV

sk82nil8
Level 2

I have done this in the past and it did not solve the issue.  The intermittent nature of this issue makes it difficult to identify the cause only by the process of elimination...  However, I will do it again to rule this out and provide you the results....

Earlier you asked:  You say "Often a modem reboot resolves the issue." What do you do if reboot doesn't fix it?   Reboot it again and/or reboot the NBN device also.

I think the issue occurs more often after unplanned power outages.  where the issue starts happening every day or two afterward, and rebooting each time seems to fix it but then it recurs again a day or two later.   then finally stabilizes after about 2 weeks.

I'm pretty sure I've always had this problem with this modem.
I had the same issue last year and requested a modem firmware update:
https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/latest-firmware-for-Archer-VR1600v-v1/m-p/102635/...

The issue only improved slightly after this (less occurrences) but that could also have been due to the below...

My wife works from home and I've had to wire up a patch cable through the roof to her office so she can maintain a reliable connection.  This has worked thus the Ethernet connection does not drop out at all., but has also just masked how regularly the 5GHz wifi issue is occurring.

david64
Level 15

@sk82nil8 . The latest Archer build is 220518. But I don't see firmware version being the issue.

Seems more like a problem with the electronic circuitry in the 5Ghz transmitter. The Archer should be slightly warm to touch but not hot. 

Next time it happens, press the wifi switch on top edge of Archer, see that both lights go off and 2.4Ghz signal stops, press again, see that both lights come on,  and whether the 5Ghz signal is present.

sk82nil8
Level 2

@david64  . I do have the latest Bulid 220518 so I think you're right, I might have a problem with the transmitter. It does get pretty hot at the top of the unit. Over the last week or so, I've tested turning the wifi transmitter off/on as you suggested with varying results.

First attempt - The lights turn off and on as expected and then the 5Ghz band signal returns and can be joined. However, the bandwidth seems limited or slow, then after speed testing a couple of times it came good.  But this only lasted 2 days.
Second Attempt - The lights turn off and on as expected but the 5Ghz band did not return,  2.4 Ghz works fine but still no 5Ghz.  tried again then similar experience to First Attempt above.  Again only lasted 2-3 days before dropping out again.

Third Attempt - The lights turn off and on as expected and then the 5Ghz band signal returns. But the speed is so slow that most devices (iphone / TV)  cannot function, after performing the same steps again, the speed eventually returns to normal.

Is there a way this hardware issue can be confirmed faulty by your team?  I would like this resolved / replaced ASAP please?

david64
Level 15

@sk82nil8 . Send a private message to the moderator to get his attention re your testing.