TPG Community

Get online support

Need help with a D-Link DSL-3900 on FTTP

SOLVED Go to solution
benzelle
Level 2

Hi, and thanks in advance!

After being without internet all weekend due to a broken router, I went and purchased a D-Link DSL-3900 router yesterday. After a bit of hassle, I managed to get the thing connected to the internet. Unfortunately, it's not going as fast as I'd like.

I was recently(ish) moved onto a trial of TPG's 'superfast' NBN product, and was noting speedtests in excess of 350Mbps – fantastic! However, since setting up the new router, I'm only getting around 90-ish Mbps (still good, just not as good). Looking at my router's information page, it's showing that the internet connect has a link rate of 100m/full duplex, so it seems that for whatever reason the router is only acting as if it can receive a 100Mbps connection despite having gigabit WAN and LAN ports.

The connection type in the settings is 'ethernet' – couldn't get the thing to connect at all when set to VDSL, so not sure if this is where the problems are coming from. Can provide more details on the settings if needed.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
benzelle
Level 2

Managed to sort the issue, but I'm not entirely sure how. Router was slow from main room, then plugged into NTD directly it was receiving gigabit connection, then plugged back into main room and the fast connection continued. Now getting 940-ish Mbps down speeds. Thanks for the help!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Shane

Hi @benzelle ,

Thanks for raising this to us. We'd love to help see what causing the service not reach the NBN speed boost limit, to better understand the situation. Shoot me a private message with your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file). Also include your best contact number and preferred time. We'll have one of our Technicians contact you for real-time test and investigation.

How do I private message (PM) in the community 

Regards,

@benzelle wrote:

Hi, and thanks in advance!

After being without internet all weekend due to a broken router, I went and purchased a D-Link DSL-3900 router yesterday. After a bit of hassle, I managed to get the thing connected to the internet. Unfortunately, it's not going as fast as I'd like.

I was recently(ish) moved onto a trial of TPG's 'superfast' NBN product, and was noting speedtests in excess of 350Mbps – fantastic! However, since setting up the new router, I'm only getting around 90-ish Mbps (still good, just not as good). Looking at my router's information page, it's showing that the internet connect has a link rate of 100m/full duplex, so it seems that for whatever reason the router is only acting as if it can receive a 100Mbps connection despite having gigabit WAN and LAN ports.

The connection type in the settings is 'ethernet' – couldn't get the thing to connect at all when set to VDSL, so not sure if this is where the problems are coming from. Can provide more details on the settings if needed.

Any help would be appreciated.

benzelle
Level 2

Managed to sort the issue, but I'm not entirely sure how. Router was slow from main room, then plugged into NTD directly it was receiving gigabit connection, then plugged back into main room and the fast connection continued. Now getting 940-ish Mbps down speeds. Thanks for the help!