TPG Community

Get online support

Need to regularly reset Arris CM8200B NBN modem?

SOLVED Go to solution
JMarc
Level 2

Hello team,

I'm actually an iinet NBN HFC customer, but it's the same service as TPG. I selected the 100/40 plan and I got connected in May 2019 and it worked REALLY well until a couple of weeks ago when I started to experience random disconnects several times a day lasting usually less than a minute. But that's enough to disrupt my video calls as I work a lot from home.

In addition, the upload speed would crawl down to 1 Mbps, impacting outgoing emails and video calls.

I restarted the Arris CM8200B modem and my Billion 8700AXL router several times. It would work better for a couple of hours and then start to disconnect again.

After reading some of the posts in this forum, I resorted to completely reset the Arris modem with a paper clip (more than 10 seconds) last night and since then it's been rock solid at 95/47 Mbps and no disconnection for 16 hours.

So it looks like doing a complete reset of the modem has done the trick. But my question is: for how long? Is it something that needs to be done only in case of problem or should it be done on a regular basis (and how often) as a preventive measure ?

Apart from this problem I love my NBN!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Joseph_D

Hi @JMarc , I would recommend you reset it if the issue reoccurs as doing it often without it being needed may not be healthy for the device. If you are to reset the Arris, holding the pin for more than 15 seconds normally does the trick or until the lights start changing.

Cheers,

Joseph D

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Shane

Hi @JMarc ,

Welcome to the community!

though iiNet & TPG are part of the TPG Telecom Limited we still operate independently of each other. We recommend to contact iiNet support for further investigation with your NBN service.

Let us know should you require further assistance,.

Cheers!

JMarc
Level 2

Shane, I understand you can't support iinet customers. It was more a generic question about the Arris HFC modem and whether there is a best practice to perform a full reset on a regular basis. I'm thinking of resetting the modem monthly.

Thanks anyway!

Joseph_D

Hi @JMarc , I would recommend you reset it if the issue reoccurs as doing it often without it being needed may not be healthy for the device. If you are to reset the Arris, holding the pin for more than 15 seconds normally does the trick or until the lights start changing.

Cheers,

Joseph D

JMarc
Level 2

@Joseph_D wrote:

Cheers,

Joseph D

Thanks Joseph. Noted!