TPG Community

Get online support

New FTTC connection - BYO Router

bentam007
Level 2

Hi Folks

I'm a new TPG NBN user on the 100 plan (and been thouroughly disappointed with the whole journey so far).

The TPG supplied Modem is causing drop out issues.  We have heaps of connected devices (3 teenage kids), so I'd like to get a better router.  I'm not a tech head, but I know a little.

I'm looking for any advice on:

- which modem to get

- do I need to bridge from the TPG modem, or can I plug directly in from the NBN box?

- any diagrams are also helpful

Cheers

BT

7 REPLIES 7
Joseph_D

@bentam007 I'm sorry to read that your experience with us is not that good. If I may ask, what modem did we supply you? If it's an issue with a faulty equipment then our team can easily replace it.

Though I cannot recommend an equipment that we did not supply, what you can do with your preferred router is that:

1. Set the TPG modem as authenticating device

2. Switch off the wifi of the TPG modem

3. Connect your preferred router on any 1 of the 4 ethernet ports on the TPG modem.

4. Set your preferred router on DHCP mode.

With the set up above you can connect all the devices on your network to your preferred router.

Also, can you PM us with your username & preferred contact details?

Kind regards,

Joseph D

benjaminh
Level 2
Hi Joseph,

I’m currently trying to do the same thing just wanted to confirm how I 1. Set the TPG modem as authenticating device?

Cheers
Rica_R

Hi @benjaminh

Welcome to TPG Community! 

Modem Authentication procedure would differ from the Modem Brand of your device. 

Are you able to post the Brand and Model of your current device?

TPG Community are here to help. 

benjaminh
Level 2
Hello,

Thank you for your quick response.

My current modem is the supplied is the tpg modem vr1600v.

I have purchased a tplink AC1900 Archer VR900
Riezl

Hi @benjaminh, we believe TP Link Acher VR900 is a VDSL/ADSL Modem router and it will possibly work for this type of NBN services;

• NBN Fibre to the Node (FTTN)/Fibre to the Building (FTTB)
  • NBN Fibre to the Curb (FTTC)
  • NBN Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC)
  • NBN Fixed Wireless

You can opt to connect this equipment directly to the telephone socket if you have NBN FTTN, FTTB service. For NBN FTTC , HFC and Fixed Wireless, this equipment should be connected to the NBN connection box the way that the TPG supplied modem is connected.

You also need to enable the VLAN settings on your equipment. The VLAN ID should be set to "2" and you need to make sure that you configure it with your TPG username and password.

We would like to set your expectation that the VoIP service/Phone service is only provisioned on our supplied equipment.

benjaminh
Level 2
Beautiful! Thank you very much, don’t have or use a home phone so that’s all good.

Thank you kindly
Riezl

No worries, @benjaminh. In case you experience trouble in enabling the VLAN settings, you can contact TP Link directly for assistance. Cheers!