TPG Community

Get online support

Optical wire needs reconnecting - HELP

steveray9a
Level 2

Hi TPG team, my service is due to be active today and last night when connecting the ethernet to a modem, the fibre cable wire out and wont go back in and re optical light is on. Please urgently assist. 

8 REPLIES 8
orbistat
Level 8

Hi @steveray9a can you post a photo of the fibre connector you're having trouble with, these connectors are keyed and are designed to only be inserted one way.

If the connector if green in colour, it's an SC APC which has a beveled tip which will be damaged if somehow forced in the wrong way so take extra care, the shell is spring loaded and should snap into place if inserted the correct way around.

steveray9a
Level 2

Thanks for the quick reply, see attached pics. The thin optical wire actually was hanging out but i put it back in, has not fixed it, maybe needs re splicing ??

orbistat
Level 8

Hi @steveray9a Yes unfortunately the alignment has to be very accurate (9 microns) where the fibre is bonded to the glass ferrule in the connector so it'll need splicing a new connector/tail assembly on.

The NBN technician will most likely use a cold gel splice which will be just as optically reliable as the original.

steveray9a
Level 2

OK, i am due to be activated today or tomorrow, can TPG send someone out to help me ?

orbistat
Level 8

@steveray9a I would call the support number and quote your reference / job number and report what you've found, hopefully it can then be on the technician's log to be looked at first.

It will probably have to be a logged fault that's then passed on to NBN to be rectified, a moderator may be able to provide information although I'd still be calling in to report it.

BasilDV

Hi @steveray9a 

Welcome to the Community!

We were able to locate your account using your community details and understand that you've been in touch with our Tech team. The case has been lodged to our Engineers and an NBN technician is booked to check your service.

Further updates will be given by your assigned Engineer as soon as it becomes available.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

BasilDV

steveray9a
Level 2

Hi again, engineer came this morning NBN active and is working via my Telstra Smart Hub gen 2. Getting 107 mbps... HAPPY DAYS Smiley Happy

The Uni D light is running orange, is that right?  Seems fine, my speed is very fast.

Also, am i ok to use Telstra Smart Hub gen 2 instead of TPG modem, i heard smart hub is better ?

BasilDV

Hi @steveray9a

You may use any third party modem/router for your NBN service.

The light status of the UNI-D light is fine. We just need to make sure that the Optical light is Green and solid as amber/red light means there's a network/fibre fault.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

BasilDV