TPG Community

Get online support

Port Forwarding on the HG 659

SOLVED Go to solution
InfinityPlusTwo
Level 3

I was sent a HG 659 when I signed up with TPG NBN and would like to enable port forwarding on it so that I can VNC into my network. Is there a guide that I can follow to get this up and running?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
N4M3L355N3RD
Level 3
  1. Setup a static ip address on either your computer or device that you want to forward a port to.
  2. Login to your Huawei HG659 router.
  3. Navigate to the port forwarding section.
    • Click the Internet link.
    • Click the Forwarding link.
  4. Create a port forward entry.

Depends on what application or games you gonna use you will need to configured it to it appropriately.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
N4M3L355N3RD
Level 3
  1. Setup a static ip address on either your computer or device that you want to forward a port to.
  2. Login to your Huawei HG659 router.
  3. Navigate to the port forwarding section.
    • Click the Internet link.
    • Click the Forwarding link.
  4. Create a port forward entry.

Depends on what application or games you gonna use you will need to configured it to it appropriately.

Hope this helps.

JongR

Hi InfinityPlusTwo.

Disclaimer: I am a TPG staff but is in no way part of our Support Team. I hope to be able to assist you in any way possible.

Good news! Huawei HG659 has settings to enable port forwarding.

But before we do that, if you haven't already done so, please:

• Setup a static IP address on either your computer or device that you want to forward a port to.
  • Login to your Huawei HG659 router
    • Go to http://192.168.1.1 on your browser

On the opening page of the router, click the Internet link near the top of the page.

Click the Forwarding link near the left of the page.

Now make sure the following information are handy:

• Application - the name of your VNC application that will use port forwarding
  • IP Address - The IP Address to forward to should be the same "static IP address" that you have already setup on your PC
  • Application Ports used by your VNC application

Click the New Port Mapping link near the center of the page.

Click the Add Port Mapping Application link near the center of the page.

Click the New link near the bottom of the page.

Now enter the following settings. Please refer to your VNC application documentation.
  • Name
  • External Port
  • Internal Port
  • Protocol

When you are finished, click the Save button.

This brings you back to the previous screen. Enter the following settings:

• Mapping Name - the name you want to give this port forwarding setup; no spaces allowed
  • Application - your VNC application
  • Internal Host - your static IP address

When you are finished, click the Save button.

Have you seen a helpful comment lately? Be sure to give it a Like.
If a reply to your question solves the problem, be sure to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
BoggieW
Level 2

I am trying to get help from TPG's "tech-support" but so far no progress....

My problem is that my modem keeps forgetting port forwarding.

Sounds strange but I set port forwarding for port 9000 which I need for the surveillance cameras. Once the port forwarding was set, all has been working fine for a few hours but then stopped. When testing the port, I get message that port is blocked. After rebooting the modem, the port forwarding on port 9000 works for a few hours (port test shows – port open) and stops again. After rebooting... and so on.

I

contacted Huawei support, but not much luck there too.

Any idea?

BoggieW
Level 2

I am trying to get help from TPG's "tech-support" but so far no progress....

My problem is that my modem keeps forgetting port forwarding.

Sounds strange but I set port forwarding for port 9000 which I need for the surveillance cameras. Once the port forwarding was set, all has been working fine for a few hours but then stopped. When testing the port, I get message that port is blocked. After rebooting the modem, the port forwarding on port 9000 works for a few hours (port test shows – port open) and stops again. After rebooting... and so on.

I contacted Huawei support, but not much luck there too.

Any idea?

JongR

Hi BoggieW.

When you set up the forwarding rules, did you use Port Mapping or Port Trigger?

(While logged in to HG659, check Internet > Forwarding)

Also, what's the internal host name(s) of the surveillance camera(s)?

(check Home Network > LAN Devices)

If a reply to your question solves the problem, be sure to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
BoggieW
Level 2

I tried many things... actually now I use Mapping and Triger. I attached a few pictures from my setup but I am very confident my setup is fine. Because, everytime I reboot/restart my modem cameras and other remote accessess work fine for 2-6 hours. When run port test - test shows Port 9000 (or other) is OPEN. After those 2-6 hours I can't access cameras (and others) until I reboot/restart the modem - port test shows CLOSED. Something happens within modem or tpg connection to block the port.

application of port mapping.JPGapplications of port triger.JPGKamery IP static.JPGKamery.JPGPort Mapping.JPGPort Triger.JPGI would need to do more tests but I have a feeling that the problem (blocked ports) happens around midnight - tis is just a feeling.....

JongR

Hi BoggieW,

Thanks for the screenshots.

Any reason why you used 10.0.0.100 as the static IP address of your sureveillance camera?

Are you using 192.168.1.1 as your HG 659 gateway address?

BoggieW
Level 2

My whole network works on 10.0.0.x

See pictures

dgcp reservation.JPGDHCP.JPG

DHCP reserv cam.JPGLAN Interface.JPG

heathpithouse
Level 2

Did you ever get this working? I have the exact same problem the Port forwarding will work for a few minutes and then close again.