TPG Community

Get online support

Port forwarding not working on TP-link VR1600v

mingzt123
Level 2

I've been trying to set up port forwarding on my TP-Link router for a server on ports 2456-2458, but everytime I've tried, its refused to work, so I need some help. I have made sure to fill in every field, yet it still yields no results.

22 REPLIES 22
david64
Level 15

Hi @mingzt123 . Can you post a screen shot of your settings?

How are you testing your setup?

Look at Advanced, Status, WAN Interface Name. This is the interface that you put in the forwarding rule.

The server needs a reserved local ip address; it should be outside the dynamic range (100-199) of the router.

Have you set up DDNS to allow for changes to your public ip address?

mingzt123
Level 2

Hi, I've attached a screenshot of my settings. I am testing my setup using a website to test open ports. I've tried using a local reserved IP address outside the dynamic range, but that also doesn't work. My WAN interface names are the same on both pages. I haven't set up DDNS as I'm still trying to get the port to open properly.

david64
Level 15

@mingzt123 . On your server computer, do the following command:   netstat -an

Check that the TCP ports 2456-2458 are listening and that the UDP ports are listed.

Check the server computer is getting the reserved address:    ipconfig

On your other computer, do this:    telnet 192.168.1.109 2456

and the other 2 ports. A blank screen indicates a connection to the port.

The router is not involved in these steps.

mingzt123
Level 2

Hi, trying netstat does not show ports 2456-2458, neither does it show the UDP ports. Telnet also does not work either. I have already opened up port 2456-2458 on Windows Firewall with the host pc.

david64
Level 15

@mingzt123 . Is the app running on the host computer?

Is it really using those ports?

mingzt123
Level 2

Yes, I tested the ports after I started the server, and ensured that ports 2456-2458 were listed in the server config file.

david64
Level 15

@mingzt123 . If they don't show in netstat and you can"t telnet to them, they aren't open. Is there any other firewall/antivirus software?

Can you get any support from the app provider? 

The main problem is trying to access locally.

mingzt123
Level 2

No other firewall/antivirus, and I dont believe I can receive support from the developer. 

david64
Level 15

@mingzt123 . What is the name of the app?

Have you searched on the internet? Are there any user groups on Facebook or elsewhere?