TPG Community

Get online support

Problem connecting Huawei HG659 to TP-Link Deco M9

SOLVED Go to solution
GJMelbourne
Level 2

Hi I have recently purchased the TP Link Deco M9 due to the WIFI strength through out my house. I have plugged the Deco M9 device into the back of the Huawei HG659 (provided by TPG) via a LAN port.

I then use the TP Link App with the following settings:

- Connection Type: PPPoE (using my TPG login details)

- IPTV/VLAN: I have tried this either "off" or "on (mode set to Australia TPG Network Vlan ID 2 & VLAN Priority 0)".

After this I get a solid blue light on the Deco M9 device.

Though once I complete the "create your wifi network" the light turns to red on the Deco M9 device. So I then can't complete the connect to your Deco WIFI.

I retried it a number of times but just can't get through this step.

Any ideas on what is happening here? Or has anyone else successfully set up the Deco M9 using the Huawei HG659.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

Hi @GJMelbourne . Any reason for keeping the hg659 in the connection? If you are FTTB/FTTN, you need the hg659 for the RJ11 connection which Deco doesn't have. Otherwise, have you tried to connect the Deco directly to nbn box? 

If you keep the hg659 in, try disabling DHCP on Deco or set  hg659 into bridge mode. VOIP phone won't work if hg659 is in bridge mode.

Search in Community for      hg659 bridge

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
david64
Level 15

Hi @GJMelbourne . Any reason for keeping the hg659 in the connection? If you are FTTB/FTTN, you need the hg659 for the RJ11 connection which Deco doesn't have. Otherwise, have you tried to connect the Deco directly to nbn box? 

If you keep the hg659 in, try disabling DHCP on Deco or set  hg659 into bridge mode. VOIP phone won't work if hg659 is in bridge mode.

Search in Community for      hg659 bridge

GJMelbourne
Level 2

Hi dadvid64

Great advice thanks so much for your response I really appreciate it. Connected the Deco M9 directly to the NBN box and it works a treat, connection is working great and faster than I ever had through the HG659.