TPG Community

Get online support

Problem with Archer Router/Modem

SOLVED Go to solution
M-Mouse
Level 2

About three weeks ago I signed up with TPG for NBN broadband. Since then service has been exemplary!

This is posted for benefit of anybody else who may encounter this problem.

The problem relates to the Archer VR1600v Router.The Router normally has 2 hard wired clients and 4 wireless clients. The hard wired clients are a new PC running Windows10 and an older PC running Windows7.

Now the problem!!!  Two days ago I decided to shut down the Windows7 PC and this sent the Router into some sort of continuous search loop that rendered the Router inoperable.  It was not possible to access the Administration screen. This was fixed by a hard reboot of the Router.

Yesterday, I decided to start the Windows7 PC imagining that it would announce itself to the Router and obtain an IP address through the DHCP. This did not happen, no internet connection could be established!!!

This could again be fixed by a hardware reboot of the Router provided both PCs were active when this was done.

It seems that the hard wired ports on the Router are not properly programmed to deal with the change in state of a connected device. Such a problem was never encountered beforewhen using an alternative (in home) router.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
M-Mouse
Level 2

@Shane wrote:

Hi @M-Mouse,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for raising this to us, aside from modem/router reboot what other troubleshooting have you performed? Have you tried using different LAN ports? Also, is it only the PC running with Windows 7 is having this issue? If so, it is possible that the PC with Window 7 OS is causing the issue. 

Regards,

To Shane: 

Further response as promised.

In process of carrying out tests you have indicated, discovered the wonders of the Archer Router Event Logging.

Eventually traced the problen to loose RJ45 plug at the entry of the Windows7 LAN cable into the Archer Router. Possible that the Router was receiving noisy signals from the Windows7 machine which was causing unpredictable hang-up of the Router.

Testing has indicated that the hardware/software implementation of the Router is extremely robust.

Relaced LAN cable connecting Windows7 machine to Router and performance is now as expected.

Incidently, have noticed that Windows7 machine is frequently sending "INFORM" messages to the Router. I do not understand this but it is not causing any issue.

Again, many thanks;  Graham

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Shane

Hi @M-Mouse,

Thanks for raising this to us, aside from modem/router reboot what other troubleshooting have you performed? Have you tried using different LAN ports? Also, is it only the PC running with Windows 7 is having this issue? If so, it is possible that the PC with Window 7 OS is causing the issue. 

Regards,

M-Mouse
Level 2

To Shane,

Many thanks for your response to my posting.

Quite honestly, I have not tried any diagnostics as I was more concerned to get the system back on air.

These days, we are so critically dependent on having internet access.

I do understand what you are suggesting and will come back to you when I have staged a few tests.

Kind regards, Graham 

M-Mouse
Level 2

@Shane wrote:

Hi @M-Mouse,

Regards,

To Shane: 

Further response as promised.

In process of carrying out tests you have indicated, discovered the wonders of the Archer Router Event Logging.

Eventually traced the problen to loose RJ45 plug at the entry of the Windows7 LAN cable into the Archer Router. Possible that the Router was receiving noisy signals from the Windows7 machine which was causing unpredictable hang-up of the Router.

Testing has indicated that the hardware/software implementation of the Router is extremely robust.

Relaced LAN cable connecting Windows7 machine to Router and performance is now as expected.

Incidently, have noticed that Windows7 machine is frequently sending "INFORM" messages to the Router. I do not understand this but it is not causing any issue.

Again, many thanks;  Graham