TPG Community

Get online support

Random internet drop outs over wi-fi and wired

SOLVED Go to solution
Grunt_er
Level 2

As I can't get through on the phone I'll try here.

I have been having random dropouts on random devices.  A device such as laptop, phone, PS4 or TV will no longer see an internet connection these devices could be connected via 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, or direct-wired.  Other devices in the household on the SAME connection method do not lose connection.  If the device is wi-fi connected, changing to the alternate connection e.g from 2.4 to 5 Ghz often re-connects.

It is NOT related to internet NBN into the modem, as not all devices lose connection at any one time.

I've changed channels on the wi-fi bands and this has not made any difference.  Note that I have also had the same issue with plugged-in devices as well, so it's not isolated just to wi-fi.

I've had this modem for a number of months without any issues at all, the problem has started to show up in the last week.  I have made no changes during this time, apart from new devices.

My belief is this is a failing modem.

Any help would be great as I have kids and family members learning and working from home.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grunt_er
Level 2

After a few days no dropouts so a reset did the trick.  Thank you for your help.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BasilDV

Hi @Grunt_er 

Thanks for raising this with us.

We can't confirm as of yet if the modem/router is faulty.

Have you tried to factory reset the modem/router?

Is the device placed in a well ventilated location?

BasilDV

Grunt_er
Level 2

Thanks for your reply.  It is located in a very well-ventilated area.  I haven't done a reset to date as yet just power cycling, so have just done a reset and will let you know how that goes.

Grunt_er
Level 2

After a few days no dropouts so a reset did the trick.  Thank you for your help.