TPG Community

Get online support

Range Extender x Netgear D7000 - just kills the network dead

Cotu
Level 2

I have NBN set up fine.

I am using a somewhat old but servicable Netgear Nighthawk D7000.

To extend the range I just purchaed a TP-Link AC2600 Dual Band Range Extender.

Whilst there are no problems initially finding and setting up the extender, connecting to the networks etc. it invaribly drops out very quickly and stops any access to the network - on the existing or extended networks.

For example, I just plugged the TP-Link back in - immediately, there is no connection possible to any of the networks.

The only solution seems to be to powering off the modem and NBN connection box at the mains - but even then, whilst the connection might be reestablished for a few minutes, it drops out again soon after.

Currently I have turned off the Extender as it is more trouble than it's worth.

Any suggestions?

thanks

4 REPLIES 4
david64
Level 15

Hi @Cotu . Did you disable the DHCP function on the extender? 

Shane

Try to do @david64's suggestion, let us know how it will go!

Hi @Cotu . Did you disable the DHCP function on the extender? 

I have NBN set up fine.

I am using a somewhat old but servicable Netgear Nighthawk D7000.

To extend the range I just purchaed a TP-Link AC2600 Dual Band Range Extender.

Whilst there are no problems initially finding and setting up the extender, connecting to the networks etc. it invaribly drops out very quickly and stops any access to the network - on the existing or extended networks.

For example, I just plugged the TP-Link back in - immediately, there is no connection possible to any of the networks.

The only solution seems to be to powering off the modem and NBN connection box at the mains - but even then, whilst the connection might be reestablished for a few minutes, it drops out again soon after.

Currently I have turned off the Extender as it is more trouble than it's worth.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Cotu
Level 2

It seemed to work for a minute but then I was unable to connect to the original or the extenstion network.

I unplugged the extender and had to repeatedly turn the router and NBN box off to get the network back to normal

Totally useless device I'm afraid.

Shane

Hi @Cotu,

We recommend to contact the manufacturer support to identify what causing the dropouts and provide us proper troubleshooting of the range extender.

Regards,

It seemed to work for a minute but then I was unable to connect to the original or the extenstion network.

I unplugged the extender and had to repeatedly turn the router and NBN box off to get the network back to normal

Totally useless device I'm afraid.