Range Extender

gmcevilly
Level 2

What is the recommended range extender for the standard TPG VR1600V modem ?

Previous questions on this site:

1...answered but referred to a 2019 discussion on whirlpool   last updated – 

posted 2019-Mar-22, 10:53 am AEST   https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2790675

2...unanswered.... https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/NBN-Installation/Best-solution-for-extending-NBN-range/m-p/51303

I have a Netgear AC1200 WiFi Range Extender which used to be ok but drops out all the time now.

TPlink were very helpful via email and I have followed their suggestions to change channels and check firmware is updated

One time I called TPG to check dropouts and they told me might be better to have extender same brand as modem (TPlink) but I cant find any info on this

Surely TPG can advise?

4 REPLIES 4
david64
Level 15

Hi @gmcevilly . I doubt that TPG will recommend one.

If you use the VOIP phone service, you must keep the VR1600 as the main router. 

If you don't use the voip service, you could replace the VR1600 with a better quality router.

Does the Netgear extender connect to the VR1600 by cable and produce its own wifi network, or does it pick up the VR1600 wifi and extend it?

Whatis the actual model number of the Netgear? AC1200 is a generic speed indicator.

If it is EX6110, it picks up the VR1600 wifi. Does the Netgear get a good signal strength from VR1600?

Do the dropouts occur on the Netgear wifi or the VR1600 wifi as well?

Are they wifi dropouts or internet dropouts which would affect ethernet devices? Any change to the lights on VR1600 or NBN box?

gmcevilly
Level 2

Hi David Thanks for helping!

If you use the VOIP phone service, you must keep the VR1600 as the main router. 

If you don't use the voip service, you could replace the VR1600 with a better quality router.

.........No I dont use VOIP

Does the Netgear extender connect to the VR1600 by cable and produce its own wifi network, or does it pick up the VR1600 wifi and extend it?..........the latter

Whatis the actual model number of the Netgear? AC1200 is a generic speed indicator.....Netgear extender EX6150_UM_EN

If it is EX6110, it picks up the VR1600 wifi. Does the Netgear get a good signal strength from VR1600?...........green light seems steady. The netgear site (pw protected) doesnt seem to offer a way to check this. It does offer "Fastlane" as an alternative to the existing "Basic" setting Basic- Connect devices on both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands at the same time. Extends both WiFi bands at the same time (2.4 and 5Ghz), but reduces WiFi performance. The Fastlane options are Router-to-Extender in 2.4 GHz only and Extender-to-Device in 5GHz only, or vice versa. As I am using the 5G band I cant see how this would apply or help

Do the dropouts occur on the Netgear wifi or the VR1600 wifi as well?.......just Netgear

Are they wifi dropouts or internet dropouts which would affect ethernet devices? Any change to the lights on VR1600 or NBN box?.........hard to monitor as office is a fair distance from VR1600 and NBN box

david64
Level 15

@gmcevilly . The EX6150 has an ethernet port. Can you connect a computer here to determine which section of wifi drops out? From the computer, ping the router. Or, on a computer on VR1600, ping the EX6150.

Does the ex6150 lose signal from router or does wifi device lose signal to ex6150? There could be interference between ex6150 and its wifi devices. 

How long do dropouts last? How do you recover?

gmcevilly
Level 2
Thanks David. Today I pinged on wifi and Ethernet cable to router and extender and saw very little difference
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 7.277/8.358/13.611/0.881 ms……..cable into router
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 8.607/10.655/22.275/2.120 ms……. Wifi to extender

Now that I know how to do this I will repeat it at busier times and when dropouts occur

Thanks again for advice and introducing me to ping. This led me to other helpful advice eg

Make sure to test all other possible latency culprits on your network before you plunge into investing in new hardware.

https://www.minim.com/blog/understanding-the-wifi-ping-test-how-to-reduce-lag-in-your-home-network

I will report back how I go

To answer questions
I realise problem when new sites won’t open. The internet Access indicator on computer says connected,secured. I click disconnect and then connect and am able to open new site.
Dropouts during zoom calls usually last less than a minute but sometimes I have to disconnect & connect to get back into meeting