Get online support

Request firmware update for Archer VR1600v WiFi Router

mike5896
Level 2

The 5Ghz WiFi seems very unstable

16 REPLIES 16
poliwiwi
Level 2

Same here. Got my FTTB last week and 5ghz is unstable. It connects but dies shortly after. Have noticed it dies when it is downloading or uploading at max. Cannot reconnect after that. 

Powering off the modem only temporarily fixes it. Happens again.

Scanned wifi in area, there is zero interference. 

Changing channels doesn't do anything.

Shake my head

Current firmware: 1.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 190305 Rel.72906n

Shane

Hi @mike5896,

We'd love to help request a firmware upgrade to the modem/router however we cannot guarantee that firmware upgrade will fix the issue.

We normally suggest to use 5GHz since it transmits data at a faster speed than that of 2.4GHz. However, the range is shorter for 5GHz and some older devices may not be compatible with it. So as a general rule, if your devices can detect 5GHz, then go for that band. Else, pick 2.4GHz as a last resort.

You may visit this thread for more details.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Broadband-Internet/2-4ghz-vs-5ghz/m-p/372

You may PM us your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file and Serial Number of the modem/router).

In case you need a reference: How do I private message (PM) in the community

Cheers!

Shane

Hi @poliwiwi,

Welcome to the community!

As mentioned above, we normally suggest to use 5GHz since it transmits data at a faster speed than that of 2.4GHz. However, the range is shorter for 5GHz and some older devices may not be compatible with it. So as a general rule, if your devices can detect 5GHz, then go for that band. Else, pick 2.4GHz as a last resort.

PM us your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file).

mike5896
Level 2

Hi Shane,

Thanks for your quick response. My wifi devices are 5Ghz capable and are in the same room as the router. The 5Ghz wifi often goes offline and the devices fallback to 2.4Ghz.

Shane

Hi @mike5896,

You're welcome. We'll wait for your account details.

Cheers!

poliwiwi
Level 2

@mike5896 wrote:

Hi Shane,

Thanks for your quick response. My wifi devices are 5Ghz capable and are in the same room as the router. The 5Ghz wifi often goes offline and the devices fallback to 2.4Ghz.

The same thing happens to me with the Archer VR1600v. I never had this problem with my ASUS DSL-ac68u. My devices are new (Is Pixel 4 XL new enough for you Shane?) I can initially connect to 5GHz but then it drops. Goes to 2.4Ghz. The 5Ghz is still visible but cannot connect to it until a power-off. I've changed channels and done all the standard fixes as per TPG's suggestion. 

Shane

Thanks for the additional details, @poliwiwi. Please PM us your account information so we can request a firmware upgrade to the modem/router.

ecklipz
Level 2

Hi,

Could you please tell me if I am running the latest firmware. If not could you please update it.

Firmware Version: 1.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 190305 Rel.72906n
Hardware Version: Archer VR1600v v2 00000000
BasilDV

Hi @ecklipz,

Welcome to TPG Community!

I can confirm that your modem is running on the latest firmware.

Cheers!

BasilDV