TPG Community

Get online support

Steps I used to connect Ubiquiti EdgeRouterX to TPG NBN FTTC

S-Davey
Level 3

Hi,

It's been a few years since I visited this posting I made in 2020. I'm glad it's helped some people.

The configuration I posted here worked very well for me up until Wednesday 5th July 2023 - about 1 week ago.

Then something changed. I am very, very sure I changed nothing on the router and it's not set to auto update anything. So I'm very sure something changed on the TPG side.

Some websites continue to work well. For example, I can visit bbc.co.uk or abc.com.au. These sites work.

But many other sites, especially those in North America, cannot be accessed. For example, if I attempt to visit cnn.com or edition.cnn.com (same IP address), I am unable to see the site.

The strange thing is, this isn't a DNS issue and it's NOT a port being blocked issue.

If I PING the sites, (e.g PING cnn.com) I can resolve the hostname to the correct IP address and I can get the ICMP packets back from PING.

If I use the windows powershell command "TNC" to test the connection on port 443 (the https port), I can get a connection, so for example "tnc cnn.com -port 443" returns sucess.

However I can't visit the page.

This isn't limited to cnn. Other things that don't work include;
xkcd.com,
roblox.com (my son plays it... sigh), 

stackoverflow.com

www.imperva.com

download.sysinternals.com

tpg.speedtestcustom.com

And also I can't connect to various minecraft servers (using port 25565) based in Canada.

However If I use a VPN, the sites all work.

If I use my phone's 5G connection (through Telstra), the sites all work.

Annoningly.... if I unplug my EdgeX from the NBN box and I plug in the Archer TPLink 1600 modem that TPG supplied..... everything works.

Which means something in my EdgeX configuration is no longer compatible with the way the TPG NBN is now working.

<<Sigh>>

So obviously I could use the Archer as a workaround. I really don't want to. It's a reasonable modem /router, but not as good as the EdgeX.

If it absolutely comes to it, I guess I'll go back to having the EdgeX behind the Archer like I did the first few days I had my NBN connection, but it's a waste of electricity and not a "clean" configuration.

So.... I'm speaking to an engineer at TPG support about this, but if anyone who has the same configuration I have happens to have the same problem, please post a reply here.

I don't have a solution to this yet, but if I get one, I promose to post it.

I would owe several coffees or a nice lunch to anyone who can help :-)