TPG Community

Get online support

TP-Link VR1600v DHCP Fails

SOLVED Go to solution
Majanzo
Level 3
Hi there,

I’ve discovered if I statically assign the time capsule an IP address outside of the DHCP range of the TP-Link, everything now works smoothly. I use the TP link for WiFi and have disabled WiFi on the Time Capsule. The Time Capsule is set up in bridge mode and connected via Ethernet cable to the TP link.

E.g.

Time Capsule IP: 192.168.1.201 (manually assigned)
TP-Link DHCP range: 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.199

If I don’t do this, after a few days the TP link stops assigning DHCP addresses to new devices and this is why they cannot connect to the Internet or any other devices on the home network.

Hope this helps!
PlasticMan
Level 3

Thanks muchly!

I will try it out and let you know how it goes. :-)

PlasticMan
Level 3

Ummm, how do I manually assign an IP address to my time capsule?

Majanzo
Level 3
You can download the Airport Utility that allows you to manually configure the settings on the Time Capsule. You can find it in the Apple App Store or if you are using Windows you can search for it on the Apple downloads website.
PlasticMan
Level 3

Thanks! Since I have given the Time Capsule a fixed IP address my ethernet connections have been rock solid. I have not required to reboot the modem since the change. I can't get around the wireless network issues/conflicts if I set up the Time Capsule and the Archer modem with identical names. Even when I tried using different bandwidths for Time Capsule and the modem.

My current setup is 2 differently named wireless networks with the Time Capsule in bridge mode and with a fixed IP address. This seems to be working fine at this stage.

adslxo8f
Level 2

Shane:

Have a few customers with TP-Link Archer VR1600v.

After a period Modem fails to issue iP addresses - DHCP failure.

Pseudo PSTN stops working.

TP-Link say it is TPG's problem.

Power cycle returns modem functionallity. Could attached timer to cause power cycle Daily but this seems unnessessary as I have already set each modem to reboot every 3 days.

Is there a firmware upgrade?

Majanzo
Level 3
It seems to be a conflict with other devices that have DHCP capabilities. E.g. Apple Timecapsule, Access Points/routers on the same network. Rule those out and statically assign them an IP address outside of the TP-Link DHCP range as a workaround
adslxo8f
Level 2

Is there a firmware upgrade? Some Tp-Link Vr1600 Modems don't have a firmware upgrade option under System Tools.

In all the Tp-Link TPG supplied modems I am dealing with that have this problem there are no DHCP server conficts.

ezrabruell
Level 2

I have been experiencing this exact same issue for the last 3+ years. In that time I've had multiple calls to the helpdesk, various workarounds, a replacement Archer and nothing seems to have resolved the issue. 

My router details are: Firmware Version:0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 200810 Rel.53181n Hardware Version:Archer VR1600v v2 00000000

Note I do not have any other DHCP server on our network. It's just the Archer. 

I would be grateful for any help to resolve this issue.

Majanzo
Level 3
What other switches, routers, devices do you have connected to your network?