TPG Community

Get online support

TP-Link router on starlink WAN wo t commect

beandenbarber
Level 2
My VX220-G2v won’t recognize the starlink WAN when I connect the Ethernet cable from the primary starlink router/modem - but I’ve had success with other modems. Is there something I’m missing?
6 REPLIES 6
david64
Level 15

Hi @beandenbarber . Do you have a Starlink ethernet adapter to connect the VX220 to Starlink?

Starlink wifi router is put in Bypass mode for this.

You say you have had success with other modems. Has this been with TPG or other providers?

Can you give a couple of model numbers?

beandenbarber
Level 2
Thanks for replying.

I’ve had success with a telstra broadband router - Telstra Smart Modem™
Gen 2 with Voice Backup model DJA0231

Then it quit.

So I tried my spare TP-Link Model:VX220-G2v(AUTPG) Ver:2.0

And no joy when connecting the Ethernet from the Ethernet splitter that connects the starlink router/modem to the dish.

Dish to starlink router modem. At splitter Ethernet cable to TP-Link router modem wan port. And no joy.

I also tried resetting the TPL but still no joy.
david64
Level 15

@beandenbarber . Regarding the Smart Modem, was this with Telstra as internet provider or TPG?

When you say it quit, you determined it was broken?

The Starlink router is still in Bypass mode?

Having factory reset the VX220, is VLAN ID enabled? Can you try disabling it.

beandenbarber
Level 2
Starlink is the internet provider. The telstra router has been problematic in the past so I figure it’s toast. I tried resets etc. the TPL was handy so I tried it - though had tried it another time and it wasn’t happy on the starlink setup, unlike the telstra modem when it was functioning. I have not been able to have the TPL connect to the internet et via the Ethernet to the starlink splitter.

I did not put the starlink router in bypass mode as I want it to be the primary and the TPL secondary.

I’ll check the vlan ID as well.

That said, and given my answers ti your questions, do you think that I’ve set this up correctly or perhaps I need to change the settings on the TPL? To run as a seco dart on the starlink wan?

Thanks!
beandenbarber
Level 2
Hrm - no idea how to deal with the vlan ID…see attached if this is the right area for this setting and how I can change this. Thanks!
david64
Level 15

@beandenbarber . Assuming your VX220 is similar to my VR1600, there should be 2 screens for internet setup. Your photo is possibly for the DSL connection (RJ11), not the ethernet connection (EWAN).  In the menu, there might be another selection for ethernet connections: ewan_pppoe maybe.

If you find it, click the Modify icon. Disable VLAN ID, and enter your username and password in your usual format, then Save.

Regarding Bypass mode, this article suggests you need to do this to allow connection of a separate router. The Starlink router is basic and there's no reason to leave it active. Indeed, it may interfere with the separate router.

https://www.starlinkhardware.com/best-aftermarket-wifi-routers-for-starlink/#:~:text=For%20most%20pe....

(The dot at end is part of the url.)