TPG Community

Get online support

TPG 5G home broadband - BYO router

surrid
Level 3
As detailed in number of other community posts, google Chromecast, smart speakers and other wifi devices suddenly do not work with the supplied Sagemcomm f@st modem provided by TPG. As far as I have seen, no reasonable solution has been offered.

As an alternative, I would like to use my own router. Is that possible on the 5G home broadband plan? Not technically minded so please go easy.

If so, are there any recommendations from the community for robust and reliable routers?
4 REPLIES 4
BasilDV

Hi @surrid 

if you are going to set the third party modem/router as the main point of connection, then the 5G will not work.

You may use your third party device as an access point instead to connect the devices that's not connecting to your 5G modem/router.

BasilDV

surrid
Level 3
Thanks @BasilDV, that's clear.

Was there any further solution provided by TPG for the Chromecast/smart device communication issue? As per the related discussions - I believe a router firmware update was pushed in the background, and now Chromecast/smart speakers are not viewable or "cast-able" on the 5G home broadband network using the supplied Sagemcomm modem.
BasilDV

Hi @surrid 

If disabling or turning off the AP Isolation did not work on your end, then we need to raise this with our Tech team for further checking.

Kindly send us a private message with your account details.

BasilDV

surrid
Level 3

Hi @BasilDV - according to the other thread, there is no way to turn off AP isolation on the Sagemcomm Fast 5866t (the supplied modem/router). Unless you can confirm any specific instructions? 

I will send you a private message anyway. Thanks