TPG Community

Get online support

Third Party Router_TP-Link AX73

SOLVED Go to solution
JasR
Level 2

Hello,

I'm thinking to upgrade the NBN router from TP-LINK vr1600 (TPG provided) to TP-LINK AX73.

Because I've been experiencing lost of internet connection on my iPhones and PCs from time to time, even though they are clearly connected to the provided router, and all status lights on the provided TPG Modem Router and NBN Network Connection Box are normal (means the moderm and router is connected to the internet). Sometimes restarting these two devices can fix the problem, sometimes not.

As we rely increasingly on internet connection to work from home and study, I need a more reliable router.

After a bit of research, I found the TP-Link Archer AX73 is NBN compatible (TP-LINK nbn-compatible-device check ) and can be used for FTTP/FTTC/HFC/UFB connection. My NBN connection type is HFC, and I found some third party router setting guide in TPG community. My question is which one the the right guide to follow:

1. For NBN FTTC connection type on TP-LINK Archer VR2800 (TPG Community suggested setting) 

2. List of Non-TPG supplied Modem/Routers for use with TPG NBN BYO Data Only Plans, it has TP-Link AX6000 listed, which should be similar to AX73(AX5400).

Has any one tried TP-LINK AX73(AX5400) for TPG NBN? Or any idea? I don't want to buy it if it doesn't work.

Cheers,

Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JasR
Level 2

Update after more than a month of using, iTP-Link AX73 works perfectly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Shane

Hi @JasR ,

Thanks for sharing this to us. The information posted on this thread (TPG Community suggested setting) 
is the required settings for a 3rd party modem/router to work with TPG NBN. Hopefully one of our community users can provide us a feedback with the compatbility of TP-LINK AX73 to TPG NBN-FTTC.

Regards,

@JasR wrote:

Hello,

I'm thinking to upgrade the NBN router from TP-LINK vr1600 (TPG provided) to TP-LINK AX73.

Because I've been experiencing lost of internet connection on my iPhones and PCs from time to time, even though they are clearly connected to the provided router, and all status lights on the provided TPG Modem Router and NBN Network Connection Box are normal (means the moderm and router is connected to the internet). Sometimes restarting these two devices can fix the problem, sometimes not.

As we rely increasingly on internet connection to work from home and study, I need a more reliable router.

After a bit of research, I found the TP-Link Archer AX73 is NBN compatible (TP-LINK nbn-compatible-device check ) and can be used for FTTP/FTTC/HFC/UFB connection. My NBN connection type is HFC, and I found some third party router setting guide in TPG community. My question is which one the the right guide to follow:

1. For NBN FTTC connection type on TP-LINK Archer VR2800 (TPG Community suggested setting) 

2. List of Non-TPG supplied Modem/Routers for use with TPG NBN BYO Data Only Plans, it has TP-Link AX6000 listed, which should be similar to AX73(AX5400).

Has any one tried TP-LINK AX73(AX5400) for TPG NBN? Or any idea? I don't want to buy it if it doesn't work.

Cheers,

Jason

JasR
Level 2

@Shane wrote:

Hi @JasR ,

Thanks for sharing this to us. The information posted on this thread (TPG Community suggested setting)
is the required settings for a 3rd party modem/router to work with TPG NBN. Hopefully one of our community users can provide us a feedback with the compatbility of TP-LINK AX73 to TPG NBN-FTTC.

Regards,

Hi Shane,

Thank you for your reply. At least it looks like TP-LINK AX73  should work on TPG NBN. Now I know where to start from. I will update this post once I get a new TP-LINK AX73 and test it.

Cheers,

Jason

david64
Level 15

Hi @JasR . The TPG BYO Router data only plans don't use VLAN ID so nearly any router will work.

The standard NBN HFC plan does use VLAN ID=2. In some routers, this setting is not easy to find. This iiNet article has a selection of routers showing how to set VLAN ID.

https://help.iinet.net.au/setting-common-non-iinet-supplied-modems-nbn-hfc

JasR
Level 2

Shane

Yay!! We're glad to know that @JasR. If you do not mind please update this thread with the steps/troubleshooting you done for the modem/router to work.

The whole community is excited for additional tips from you Smiley Happy