TPG Community

Get online support

Tplink Archer VR1600v keeps rebooting

Toby8726
Level 2

An update. My modem is now working after a factory reset via the modem's admin console, rather than holding the physical reset button down for 10 seconds.

https://help.iinet.net.au/how-factory-reset-iinet-modems#TPLinkVR1600v

Login to the modem via a connected computer browsing to 192.168.1.1 and enter the login details. Default is "admin" for both.
Click on "Advance" Tab
Within the lefthand menu click on System Tools > Reboot > Factory Restore > Yes

This process stopped the rebooting, and allowed the modem to connect. It needed a further say twenty minutes to configure itself after that. As while the internet connection LED was displayed, browsing the internet & voip was not immediate to connected devices. But it stopped the constant rebooting. After 15-20minutes internet and voip was working again.

33windsor
Level 2

Same here, mine is also an Archer VR1600V that keeps rebooting every 20 minutes causing repetitive dropouts, most unsatisfactory. Modem is 18 months old, so annoying and I just want a new modem, not too much to ask is it?

BasilDV

Thank you for sharing it @Toby8726.

Have a good day!

Angeli

Hi @33windsor

Welcome to TPG Community! 

We can conduct some tests to determine as to where the issue is coming from. Flick us a message with your TPG customer ID or username and we can take it from there. 

How do I private message (PM) in the community

Thanks,

Angeli

CanWeFixIt
Level 3

Hi @BasilDV , et al
I am also got hit by this reboot modem issues today.

Looks like something got upgraded.

Now running.

Firmware Version:0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 220518 Rel.32480n Hardware Version:Archer VR1600v v1.0 00000000 Support

I had to factory default the wifi router, it seems to be stable now. Had to waste my time re-configuring the router as it does not have feature to backup the configuration.

But my VOIP services is STILL down.

Telephone Status: Telephone service unavailable. Please check your account settings or register a new number. 

So two questions:
* How do I fix my VOIP issue?

* Why were we NOT told in advance this would happen ? TPG is not looking after those who pay for the internet services. Without us there is no TPG.

BasilDV

Hi @CanWeFixIt

To confirm that we are working on the correct account, please send me a PM with your account details.

BasilDV

CanWeFixIt
Level 3

Hi @BasilDV,

It seems my nightmare has now become worse, sounds like TPG has not learnt from Medibank or Optus Hack.

The information you asked for has a lot of Personally identifiable information (PII). I rather not provide you this information on this TPG community forum as I do not know how secure it is.

It is strange to get support from TPG in this forum, I need to provide the following information - I thought by providing an TPG Customer ID should be enough.

First name: xxxx
Last name: xxxx
Phone number: xxxx
Username / email address: xxxx
Are you the account holder?: Yes/No
Date of birth: xxx

Why doesn't TPG just use the main account web page to authenticate us into this forum? That way, you do not need to ask these information to identify who I am. The main www.tpg.com.au webpage has multi-factor authentication - this community forum does not. This forum to me, has increase the attack surface on TPG and this scares me.

I know you are just following the process, but I rather have you escalate this through the management team. As I am very concerned for the information security for those who have already provide their PII just to get support.

I am just concern that it will become another Optus hack in the making and that TPG has not learnt anything from the others.

Should I be looking into churning to another internet service provider??
Please let us know if you got any feedback from the management team, as I am eager to hear what actions they plan to take.

Shane

Hi @CanWeFixIt,

Basil is not available tonight so I am stepping to help and rectify this.

The privacy and security of all our customers is extremely important to us. Our Cyber Defence and Response Centre provides around-the-clock, event monitoring, threat protection and intelligence, to help protect our customer’s data and our services against online security threats.

We ensure that your information can only be seen and used by staff who need it to do their jobs. Keep in mind that any transactions or information obtained through this channel without multi factor authentication is low risk, such as the plan you are on, or general troubleshooting processes.

The reason we ask for the above information, is so we can properly identify customers to ensure no information is shared with anyone that is not authorised.

I will have a TPG representative to call the contact mobile number on the account to provide technical assistance. Please confirm your best contact time tomorrow.

Regards,

It seems my nightmare has now become worse, sounds like TPG has not learnt from Medibank or Optus Hack.

The information you asked for has a lot of Personally identifiable information (PII). I rather not provide you this information on this TPG community forum as I do not know how secure it is.

It is strange to get support from TPG in this forum, I need to provide the following information - I thought by providing an TPG Customer ID should be enough.

First name: xxxx Last name: xxxx Phone number: xxxx Username / email address: xxxx Are you the account holder?: Yes/No Date of birth: xxx

Why doesn't TPG just use the main account web page to authenticate us into this forum? That way, you do not need to ask these information to identify who I am. The main www.tpg.com.au webpage has multi-factor authentication - this community forum does not. This forum to me, has increase the attack surface on TPG and this scares me.

I know you are just following the process, but I rather have you escalate this through the management team. As I am very concerned for the information security for those who have already provide their PII just to get support.

I am just concern that it will become another Optus hack in the making and that TPG has not learnt anything from the others.

Should I be looking into churning to another internet service provider??
Please let us know if you got any feedback from the management team, as I am eager to hear what actions they plan to take.

jthen
Level 2
I've performed a factory reset but the issue still remains. In fact, it's worse now because the router requires a hardware reset to work.

Firmware Version:0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 220518 Rel.32480n
BasilDV

Hi @jthen

We'd like to check on this further on our end.

Kindly shoot me a PM with your account details.

BasilDV