TPG Community

Get online support

Update Archer VR1600V Firmware

rsie
Level 2

Hi,

I have Archer V1600 and have regular wifi drop outs for the 5GHz wi fi and have to reboot the router at least twice a week. Settings are 

• Channel: Auto
  • Channel Width: Auto
  • Transmit Power: High

The 2.4Ghz works OK and ethernet does not drop out

Do I need to  update my router firmware?

Firmware Version: 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 200810 Rel.53181n
Hardware Version: Archer VR1600v v2 00000000

Thanks

Rohan

5 REPLIES 5
Aubrey

Welcome to TPG Community @rsie!

Your modem appears to have the latest firmware version so let's check on how we can further improve your connection.

The coverage of the 5GHz network is smaller compared to the 2.4GHz network and may have a harder time penetrating through walls or some obstructions. Are you having the same trouble when you're in the same room with the modem? 

Having the wifi channel set on auto means that it will choose the best channel at the time. You may still change the channel but selecting the best channel may not be straightforward. You may get a wifi analyser app to check which channels are already in use and which one will not interfere with yours.

You may also refer to these articles regarding wifi connections:

Easy Steps to Improve Wi-Fi Connection In Your Home

Wireless Channel on your modem - what is it and why should I change it?

If you need further help, just flick us a private message with your account details.

Cheers!

dmurphy1974
Level 2

I cant for the life of me work out how to private msg,, I click the name it goes to an about page & there's no link to private msg???

Hardware Version:Archer VR1600v v2 00000000

Firmware Version:0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 200304 Rel.64006n 

Can i please have a firmware update? I have no idea who gave me this firmware so i would like to get he official tpg version

xxxxxx: is my username

Shane

Hi @dmurphy1974,

Our System Engineers unable to remotely push a firmware to the modem/router due to 3rd party firmware embedded to the device. 

You need to get a new modem/router to us if you are using the bundled VoIP service.

The new device will cost you $99.95 + $10 shipping fee. Let me know if you'll purchase it with us.

Regards,

cedlee72
Level 2

Hello,

Can I find out if this TP Link Archer VR1600v v2 modem is locked to TPG proprietory? I wanted to use it on another ISP but the VoIP is not working on their network.

Thanks.

Ahra_G

Hi @cedlee72

VoIP service of the TPG supplied modem will not be available if you use it with another ISP. We have chosen not to supply these to end users to simplify setup and to ensure the security of our customers' connection. 

You can use the internet function with the correct PPPoE details. 

Thanks! 

Ahra_G