TPG Community

Get online support

Upgrading My Modem

SOLVED Go to solution
crestmount
Level 2

I currently have the Netcomm N300 NF12 router that only supports 2.4Ghz wifi. While it is OK for now, I would like to upgrade to a router that will be compatable with the 5G network.  My laptop is compatable, so it's just a matter of getting a modem/router

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
crestmount
Level 2
I ordered a dual band modem from TPG on Friday. According to courier it is due to be delivered tomorrow.

View solution in original post

crestmount
Level 2

So, I ordered an updated Modem on Friday, and it arrived last night.  Once setup I did a speed test via the TPG site just to determine if I was achieving the difference I was hoping for.

Results are:

2.4Ghz Wireless--Download--49.0:  Upload--36.7

5Ghz Wireless--Download--68.9:  Upload--37.6

Ethernet Cable--Download--86.7:  Upload--36.8

blackhat88
Level 4

I believe there are better dual band modems on the market compared to the one supplied by TPG. I used to be with Optus and supplied with Sagencom modem. I connected the Sagencom modem to the LAN port of the TPG supplied modem via ethernet (as an extra access point) and find that the speed I got from connecting to the Sagencom modem through Wi-Fi is faster. Distance do matter too since I may often have to be somewhat close to the modem when connecting.

Maybe get a wifi extender (get the dual band ones) to improve range.

5 REPLIES 5
Chris_B
Level 2

Hi . Modems are single band or dual band. You have a single band. If you take your modem into a shop (Harvey Norman etc) they will be able to supply a similar dual band modem with both 2G and 5G wifi connection to use on your existing service.

It sounds like you might be getting confused with 5G internet through the mobile network, which is a different thing alltogether. You will have to call a service provider like TPG to see if that is available in your area. They will then be able to advise you on what you require to get 5G mobile internet.

crestmount
Level 2
I ordered a dual band modem from TPG on Friday. According to courier it is due to be delivered tomorrow.
crestmount
Level 2
And there is no way I will ever work into a Harvey Norman store.
crestmount
Level 2

So, I ordered an updated Modem on Friday, and it arrived last night.  Once setup I did a speed test via the TPG site just to determine if I was achieving the difference I was hoping for.

Results are:

2.4Ghz Wireless--Download--49.0:  Upload--36.7

5Ghz Wireless--Download--68.9:  Upload--37.6

Ethernet Cable--Download--86.7:  Upload--36.8

blackhat88
Level 4

I believe there are better dual band modems on the market compared to the one supplied by TPG. I used to be with Optus and supplied with Sagencom modem. I connected the Sagencom modem to the LAN port of the TPG supplied modem via ethernet (as an extra access point) and find that the speed I got from connecting to the Sagencom modem through Wi-Fi is faster. Distance do matter too since I may often have to be somewhat close to the modem when connecting.

Maybe get a wifi extender (get the dual band ones) to improve range.