TPG Community

Get online support

Use two Archer V1600 to extend wifi range

northstar
Level 2

Hey team, I know that this has sort of been answered in other posts -- but it is only in part, and I need literally step-by-step, plug-by-plug.

I want to link both of my Archer VR1600v's together to use one purely as a wifi extender. 

I followed the instructions to make it a bridge... but then got lost there. If someone could please do the tedious bit by bit plug by plug I would be very thankful.

3 REPLIES 3
david64
Level 15

Will you connect the two routers by cable? The following is for cable connection.

Do internet search for "connect one router to another". There's an article in wikihow.com.

You will already have part 1 done with your normal setup.

Part 2 is setup for router #2.

- disable dhcp

- assign a new address for #2; say 192.168.1.2.

- set SSID and passkey and channel to same values as #1

One more thing on #1. You have to make sure that the ip address of #2 is not handed out by #1.

Check  "Reserve LAN IP Addresses".

You make an entry here to reserve ip address 192.168.1.2 for mac address of #2.

Since both SSIDs are same, a wifi device will pass between each coverage area without dropping out. 

tolitz1108
Level 2

I've done all these but I lost my internet access... Huawei HG659 (wife extender) is connected LAN to LAN...

My network says "Connected Secured" but can't access internet or "Action Needed, No Internet"... 

david64
Level 15

@tolitz1108 . Your main router should work as normal. Ethernet and wifi devices connect to it and access the internet and can login to its admin screen. 

The Huawei has different ip address and dhcp disabled and connected lan to lan. Its Internet light is off because its dsl/wan port is not connected to anything.  You can connect to its ethernet and wifi. The ip address is provided by the main router. The device should show up as a connected device in the main router.

A computer connected to the main router can ping the Huawei's ip address. 

A device connected to either router can access the admin screen of the other router.