TPG Community

Get online support

Using HG659 as the wifi extender for Netcomm Cloudmesh NF18MESH

SOLVED Go to solution
jeffZ
Level 2

Hi,

I would like to use my old modem from TPG (Huawei HG659) as a Wi-Fi extender for my Cloudmesh NF18MESH device. Could you please help me with my inquiry? I found some instructions on accessing Huawei's Internet Setting page and changing some parameters but in my case, I can only change the Internet account and password from the Internet Settings menu. Also, I can connect them both to a LAN cable and I am not looking for a wireless connection solution. Thanks a lot in advance and I look forward to your responses.

Kind regards,

Jeff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

Hi @jeffZ . 

Do a reset on hg659.

Netcomm default ip is 192.168.20.1 according to manual.
Connect to the hg659 (ethernet or wifi), login to the admin, change router's ip address to, say 192.168.20.2 (the dynamic pool of the Netcomm goes from 2 to 254 so you have to change it to start at 3), and save it.

If you want reserved ip addresses for devices, increase the "3" to make room.
Restart the browser session, disable DHCP and save it. Connect the two routers LAN port to LAN port.
If you have a second wifi device, connect it to the hg659 wifi. It will get an ip address from the Netcomm. It should be able to access the internet. The ethernet ports should also still work.
You can change the SSIDs and passwords on the hg659 wifi to match those of the Netcomm. For the 2.4G SSID on each router, use different channel numbers (1 and 6, or 6 and 11, or 1 and 11) to avoid interference. For 5G, leave it on Auto.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
david64
Level 15

Hi @jeffZ . 

Do a reset on hg659.

Netcomm default ip is 192.168.20.1 according to manual.
Connect to the hg659 (ethernet or wifi), login to the admin, change router's ip address to, say 192.168.20.2 (the dynamic pool of the Netcomm goes from 2 to 254 so you have to change it to start at 3), and save it.

If you want reserved ip addresses for devices, increase the "3" to make room.
Restart the browser session, disable DHCP and save it. Connect the two routers LAN port to LAN port.
If you have a second wifi device, connect it to the hg659 wifi. It will get an ip address from the Netcomm. It should be able to access the internet. The ethernet ports should also still work.
You can change the SSIDs and passwords on the hg659 wifi to match those of the Netcomm. For the 2.4G SSID on each router, use different channel numbers (1 and 6, or 6 and 11, or 1 and 11) to avoid interference. For 5G, leave it on Auto.

jeffZ
Level 2

Hi @david64,

Many thanks for your prompt response and I am happy to confirm that this solution works. However, to have it connected, I think I need to run a cable throughout the house which doesn't look good and also is not safe, especially with our little ones running around the house. Is there any chance that I could use the same line that goes to our Opticomm box and the other end connects to the Netcomm mesh? The box is in the garage and it's connected to the NBN wall socket which gives me the chance to hook up one router in the entertainment room (through the wall socket) and one close to the back of the house (another wall socket). I tried to hook all three using the same line but apparently; it doesn't work this way.

Cheers,

Jeff

david64
Level 15

Hi @jeffZ . The HG659 Internet light won't come on since it is not doing any internet processing.

On HG, check if there are settings for Default Gateway or DNS Server. They should be set to the Netcomm address (192.168.20.1).

I've just seen your second message; so the HG devices can access internet?

If you had two telephone outlets before NBN, now, you can only use one outlet for NBN. The other outlet must be empty.

I'm not clear on the layout from your description.

You mention Opticomm. Is that the model of the box in the garage? Do you have FTTP connection?

If you have the Netcomm in the garage (with the Opticomm), you can't easily use the ethernet ports.  If you could run a Cat5e/6 ethernet cable from the garage into the front of the house, you might have sufficient wifi coverage with just the Netcomm. Any chance of running an ethernet cable under the house to the back room?

jeffZ
Level 2

Hi David,

Thanks a lot for your response. Yes, now the internet can be distributed via the HG 659 router but as I've mentioned, I was hoping to find another way instead of running cables throughout the house. If that's the only way, then I will try to make that happen. Many thanks again for your time and support. 

Cheers,

Jeff

NiMa
Level 2
Hi @david64,

I also did the same thing and everything was working fine for me until recently when I tried to connect my brand new laptop to the internet, the set-up page of Huawei pops up and the internet disconnects (on my task bar, instead of my WiFi logo I have the globe with a cross that suggests there is no internet). I'm having this issue only with my new laptop. I'm not able to connect to any of the IP addresses either on my main modem or the Huawei modem. It's becoming very frustrating for me as I'm searching everywhere in my laptop or modem settings and I can't find a solutions for it.
Any ideas how to fix it? Can you please help me?

Thanks in advance for your response and assistance.

Cheers,
Nima
david64
Level 15

Hi @NiMa . Do you have the same problem when you connect the laptop to both routers or just the one?

When you connect the laptop, what happens to the other devices? Do they all keep working or do they lose internet or even lose wifi connection?

If the laptop has an ethernet port, does it connect properly?

Use the wifi connection for the following.

If it's a Windows laptop, open a command window and do this command:

ipconfig/all

Copy and paste the output into your reply.

NiMa
Level 2

Hi @david64,

Many thanks for your response. I'm using two Windows operating laptops. The older laptop that has Ethernet port (I set up the connection between two routers using this one) works just fine same as all the other devices around the house from security cameras and doorbell to fridge, TV, vaccum cleaner, tablets and mobile phones. However, the new laptop is the issue and it does not like to connect. By the way, it dos not have an Ethernet port that I could check the connection using the cable and it makes no difference if I connect to the Huawei or the other router. The results are still the same. 

Below is the output of what you have asked for:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.1055]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\NFR>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-Q2HHH46
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-71-90-44-ED-51
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 0A-71-90-44-ED-50
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-71-90-44-ED-50
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : fd44:c346:7fc4:a100:bc59:d006:ed4d:8740(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : fd44:c346:7fc4:a100:85b0:d596:ed24:cf78(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::bc59:d006:ed4d:8740%17(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.20.14(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 14, 2021 9:49:26 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, June 15, 2021 9:49:25 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::faca:59ff:fea7:bb81%17
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.20.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 252211600
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-28-54-A7-CE-08-71-90-44-ED-50
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::1%17
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-71-90-44-ED-54

C:\Users\NFR>

Thanks a lot again for your time and helping me solving this issue, @david64.

Cheers,

Nima

david64
Level 15

Hi @NiMa . Has the old laptop been restarted since you used it to set up the connection? If not, there might be a clash between the 2 laptops. What is the address of the old laptop?

When the new laptop is connected to wifi, open a command window and do these commands

Ping each router and www.tpg.com.au

When you start the browser and it goes to the Huawei page, can you login and then logout?

In the browser address bar, enter www.tpg.com.au

If the pings work and you get the TPG home page, it's basically working. Is it possible that the browser has a setting for the home page to be the Huawei router?

NiMa
Level 2

Hi @david64,

Yes, I turn off laptops when I don't use them. I've done the login and log out many times. The interesting thing is that the moment I turn off the Huawei router and I connect the new laptop to the other router, everything works fine and I am connected but when I turn on the Huawei router, I get disconnected from the internet. Then, the Huawei web page appears and as I've mentioned, non of the SSIDs work.