TPG Community

Get online support

VPN support in Archer VR1600v

SOLVED Go to solution
xspring2012
Level 2

Hi,

I am a TPG customer and using TP-Link VR1600V,the firmware version is 0.1.0.0.9.1 v5006.0 build 200810 rel 53181n.I need use VPN feature in VR1600v,the customize firmware can support it now? If yes,PLS help to update the firmware for me.Thanks.

Sunny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

Hi @xspring2012 . The VR1600 originally supported 3 styles of VPN server. In build 200810, TPG removed the VPN option due to some unspoken concern about security. If you don't use the VOIP facility, you could buy some other brand of router that supports your VPN type.

TPG will suggest that you run VPN server software on your computer but that means leaving the computer turned on all the time; not your preferred option.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
david64
Level 15

Hi @xspring2012 . The VR1600 originally supported 3 styles of VPN server. In build 200810, TPG removed the VPN option due to some unspoken concern about security. If you don't use the VOIP facility, you could buy some other brand of router that supports your VPN type.

TPG will suggest that you run VPN server software on your computer but that means leaving the computer turned on all the time; not your preferred option.

Shane

Hi @xspring2012,

We can request to update the modem/router's firmware however is still not available. At the moment no updates yet is available about the VPN feature of our supplied modem. 

If you wish to use VPN server functionality, we recommend you install 3rd party software on your PC/server.

Regards,

Hi,

I am a TPG customer and using TP-Link VR1600V,the firmware version is 0.1.0.0.9.1 v5006.0 build 200810 rel 53181n.I need use VPN feature in VR1600v,the customize firmware can support it now? If yes,PLS help to update the firmware for me.Thanks.

Sunny

david64
Level 15

Does anybody actually read these posts properly? The VR1600 used to have a VPN server but TPG removed it with no notice or regard for the impact to users.

@Shane