TPG Community

Ask, answer and talk about our products

Why do I have to use the Archer VR1600v ?

SOLVED Go to solution
Highlighted
Level 2

To Whom it may concern,

Could anyone please clarify is to why i have to have and use the Archer VR1600v that come supplied when i merged over to the NBN some time back.

When i was with ADSL 2+, I was using the Netgear AC1600 wifi vdsl / adsl router and it was very rare to have any dropouts come to think of it only when TPG had outages understandable,or in very bad weather also understandable!! and the negear had a regular firmware update and much better range on the wifi were as the archer dosn't.

So who is controling the firmware Tpg or Tp - Link?

Please dont get me wrong the archer VR 1600V is not bad but i personally found the netgear to be better and more features that the end user could control, but as as it was only used on the ADSL 2+ and not NBN so i can't comment on the performance there,but i feel as tho it would have been the same....

Kind Regards

xr64me

1 REPLY 1

Hi @xr64me,

Welcome to the community!

The modem we provide is a standard modem and we’ve optimised the setup to complement our specifically configured modem settings. It is a reliable and efficient modem. We provide the modem for all our NBN plans as they are sold as an Internet & Home Phone Bundle. As the Home Phone component of your bundle is encrypted for security, you will need to use our modem if you are to make and receive phone calls.

Our modem is also pre-configured for internet access Some customers who do not use the home phone component of our bundle sometimes prefer to use their own NBN compatible modem. If this is the case, then our after sales support team can provide you with the settings required to configure your 3rd party modem with the settings required to access the internet.

On the other hand, you can still use your own modem/router as an 'Wireless Extender' by turning on its DHCP mode. You might find this thread helpful.

Connect Asus RT-AC88U to Hewawei HG659