TPG Community

Get online support

Why do I have to use the Archer VR1600v ?

SOLVED Go to solution
xr64me
Level 3

To Whom it may concern,

Could anyone please clarify is to why i have to have and use the Archer VR1600v that come supplied when i merged over to the NBN some time back.

When i was with ADSL 2+, I was using the Netgear AC1600 wifi vdsl / adsl router and it was very rare to have any dropouts come to think of it only when TPG had outages understandable,or in very bad weather also understandable!! and the negear had a regular firmware update and much better range on the wifi were as the archer dosn't.

So who is controling the firmware Tpg or Tp - Link?

Please dont get me wrong the archer VR 1600V is not bad but i personally found the netgear to be better and more features that the end user could control, but as as it was only used on the ADSL 2+ and not NBN so i can't comment on the performance there,but i feel as tho it would have been the same....

Kind Regards

xr64me

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shane

Hi @xr64me,

Welcome to the community!

The modem we provide is a standard modem and we’ve optimised the setup to complement our specifically configured modem settings. It is a reliable and efficient modem. We provide the modem for all our NBN plans as they are sold as an Internet & Home Phone Bundle. As the Home Phone component of your bundle is encrypted for security, you will need to use our modem if you are to make and receive phone calls.

Our modem is also pre-configured for internet access Some customers who do not use the home phone component of our bundle sometimes prefer to use their own NBN compatible modem. If this is the case, then our after sales support team can provide you with the settings required to configure your 3rd party modem with the settings required to access the internet.

On the other hand, you can still use your own modem/router as an 'Wireless Extender' by turning on its DHCP mode. You might find this thread helpful.

Connect Asus RT-AC88U to Hewawei HG659

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Shane

Hi @xr64me,

Welcome to the community!

The modem we provide is a standard modem and we’ve optimised the setup to complement our specifically configured modem settings. It is a reliable and efficient modem. We provide the modem for all our NBN plans as they are sold as an Internet & Home Phone Bundle. As the Home Phone component of your bundle is encrypted for security, you will need to use our modem if you are to make and receive phone calls.

Our modem is also pre-configured for internet access Some customers who do not use the home phone component of our bundle sometimes prefer to use their own NBN compatible modem. If this is the case, then our after sales support team can provide you with the settings required to configure your 3rd party modem with the settings required to access the internet.

On the other hand, you can still use your own modem/router as an 'Wireless Extender' by turning on its DHCP mode. You might find this thread helpful.

Connect Asus RT-AC88U to Hewawei HG659

Crapservice
Level 2

So that customer could go back to the life without internet. Tpg is very supportive to make dropouts of the nbn internet all the time that will make you feel agiated and angry, and ultimately stop using internet. Tpg always blames nbn for the technical issues but tpg always takes money in advance for money promising to deliver the internet. 

Shane

Hi @Crapservice,

We apologise if you feel that way. Are you having difficulties with your service? to better understand the situation, we'd like to get your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address file).

Regards,

tangming82gz
Level 2

Hi, There

Quoting 'On the other hand, you can still use your own modem/router as an 'Wireless Extender' by turning on its DHCP mode. ' I am a bit confused.

If I would like to use my own modem as the access point/wireless extender, should I turn on the DHCP mode or off?

My Modem is DLink DSL 2888A

Will

Hi @tangming82gz,

You will need to set your Dlink modem's connection type to DHCP mode.

Regards,

tangming82gz
Level 2

Re: Netcomm Wireless Access Point with TPG NBN

Hi @tangming82gz,

Welcome to TPG Community!

In order to set your D-Link 2888A to a LAN to LAN connection;

1.) Access your D-Link interface (enter http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar)

2.) If prompted with a log in screen, click Log In to proceed. No password is enabled by default.

3.) Go to Settings, then click on Network.

4.) Under Network Settings, change the LAN IP Address to 192.168.1.254, else leave it by default.

5.) Look for DHCP Server, then set it to Disabled.

6.) Save the changes.

Note.
If you have to reconfigure the D-Link like changing wifi settings you need to go to 192.168.1.254

You may now connect the LAN 1 of your D-Link to the LAN 1 of your TPG supplied modem.

Regards,

BasilDV

tangming82gz
Level 2

Hi, Will

Now I have confused

Please see above advice from TPG

Hi @tangming82gz,

Welcome to TPG Community!

In order to set your D-Link 2888A to a LAN to LAN connection;

1.) Access your D-Link interface (enter http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar)

2.) If prompted with a log in screen, click Log In to proceed. No password is enabled by default.

3.) Go to Settings, then click on Network.

4.) Under Network Settings, change the LAN IP Address to 192.168.1.254, else leave it by default.

5.) Look for DHCP Server, then set it to Disabled.

6.) Save the changes.

Note.
If you have to reconfigure the D-Link like changing wifi settings you need to go to 192.168.1.254

You may now connect the LAN 1 of your D-Link to the LAN 1 of your TPG supplied modem.

Will

Hi @tangming82gz

I'm sorry about the confusion. The instructions given by Basil were to configure the LAN1 port on your modem to act as the WAN port. However, I checked the information of your modem (D-Link DSL-2888A) from D-Link's website and it showed that it has a built-in WAN port already. So instead of going through the motions of activating LAN1 port, simply connect an ethernet cord from WAN port of the Dlink modem and connect it to any of the LAN ports on the TP-Link vr1600V modem.

You need to ensure though that in the User Interface of your modem (Settings> Internet), Access Type is set to Residential Gateway and that the IPV4 Settings "My Internet Connection Is" set to Dynamic IP (DHCP).

tangming82gz
Level 2

@Will wrote:

Hi @tangming82gz

I'm sorry about the confusion. The instructions given by Basil were to configure the LAN1 port on your modem to act as the WAN port. However, I checked the information of your modem (D-Link DSL-2888A) from D-Link's website and it showed that it has a built-in WAN port already. So instead of going through the motions of activating LAN1 port, simply connect an ethernet cord from WAN port of the Dlink modem and connect it to any of the LAN ports on the TP-Link vr1600V modem.

You need to ensure though that in the User Interface of your modem (Settings> Internet), Access Type is set to Residential Gateway and that the IPV4 Settings "My Internet Connection Is" set to Dynamic IP (DHCP).

Hi, Will

thanks for your clarification.

in that case, can you instruct me the exact procedure of configuration? The Built in WAN in your reply, is that referring to the red color one on DLink modem?

do I have to give each individual equipment connecting this access point a fixed IP address?