Zscaler issue?

DD2022
Level 2

Hi,

My wife brought back a work computer (Windows 10 loaded with ZScaler VPN) but cannot connect to her work network from home. Now prior to leaving her office the machine was tested by hotspotting to an external modem (so they weren't using work intranet) to confirm connectivity/functionality from the outside world.

I tested via ethernet as well as Wi-Fi and her computer CAN connect to our router and have access to Internet but whenever I launch ZScaler it throws network error and never completes authentication. Have tried hotspotting off my phone, again same issue.

Work gave my wife another desktop, again they tested connectivity/functionality and confirmed that it was working. Tried new machine via ethernet, Wi-Fi and hotspotting off my phone, again no Internet via ZScaler! It all seem to indicate that there is an issue with ZScaler but before going back to work, can you please confirm that there are't any constraints on the TPG side that would not be allowing the work computer to connect to the work network?

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

3 REPLIES 3
david64
Level 15

Hi @DD2022 . Can you provide a screenshot of the network error.

You say hotspotting off your phone (mobile data) gives network error. Is your phone with TPG or some other network?

Regarding ZScaler, does the client component on the work computer connect to the server component at work, or somewhere else?

Does the connection process use a security token, challenge/response mechanism? 

The computer was tested at work via external connection, can you get settings of that router to compare with your home router? (Port forwarding, UPnP, and any settings present when connected.)

What model wifi router do you have at home? There's a chance ZScaler is doing something the router can't handle. If you were able to borrow a router from work same as the one they used to test the computer.

If you know the hostname or ip address of the other end (either work or elsewhere), can you try to ping and tracert the hostname or address.

If you can find out the port number used by the ZScaler server, you can use telnet command on work computer to see if you can connect to it.

telnet  hostname_or_ip_address  port_number

Shane

Hi @DD2022,

Could you tell us if there is a specific connection settings required for the ZScaler to work or to connect with the internet? Also shoot us a PM with your details to better understand the situation.

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

Hi,

My wife brought back a work computer (Windows 10 loaded with ZScaler VPN) but cannot connect to her work network from home. Now prior to leaving her office the machine was tested by hotspotting to an external modem (so they weren't using work intranet) to confirm connectivity/functionality from the outside world.

I tested via ethernet as well as Wi-Fi and her computer CAN connect to our router and have access to Internet but whenever I launch ZScaler it throws network error and never completes authentication. Have tried hotspotting off my phone, again same issue.

Work gave my wife another desktop, again they tested connectivity/functionality and confirmed that it was working. Tried new machine via ethernet, Wi-Fi and hotspotting off my phone, again no Internet via ZScaler! It all seem to indicate that there is an issue with ZScaler but before going back to work, can you please confirm that there are't any constraints on the TPG side that would not be allowing the work computer to connect to the work network?

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

DD2022
Level 2

Hi,

I've tested her desktop on someone else network (Different ISP) and still getting the same symptoms so I am suspecting there is something with her Zscaler setup altogether.
Anyway thanks for getting back to me.