TPG Community

Get online support

kogan agora 6 plus and tp-link archer VR1600v problem

Level 2

I had NBN installed thru TPG, using a TPG supplied TP-Link model Archer VR1600v modem router. All my other household wi-fi devices (Samsung/LG/iPhone/iPad/Dell laptop/HP laptop) work/connect with the new router's wi-fi signal flawlessly. However, my Kogan Agora 6 Plus phone immediately locks/freezes and cycles the Kogan Agora 6+ rainbow start up screen over and over as soon as it connects to the wi-fi signal. When the wi-fi signal is turned off at the router, or I take the Kogan phone out of range of the router signal, the Kogan phone starts working normally. When I contacted Kogan's help desk they suggested a few troubleshooting steps, including a factory reset, but none of these worked, the problem continues. I believe the problem is coming from the modem router because of the WiFi signal and I cannot fix this. 

18 REPLIES 18
orbistat
Level 8

Hi @5657459 try connecting to the VR1600v on the 2.4ghz band only, also set the VR1600v to 'n only' in the band settings. The Kogan agora 6 plus also does not support 802.11ac 

Level 2

nope it didn't fix the problem

orbistat
Level 8

Try as a test, changing the encryption to WEP or even off completely to see if you can get it to handshake.

Level 2

I've done everything (wep, wps etc) nothing works its the modem router that is the problem not my phone

orbistat
Level 8

That's not conclusive, the fact that all other devices on the network don't have a problem sways the probability towards the Kogan, the fact it reboots indicates it's performing a memory dump or the processor is in a loop, have you tried turning off the 2.4 ghz band and 5 ghz band one at a time on the router to see what happens?

JongR

Hi @5657459,

Can your Kogan Agora 6 Plus phone connect to another WiFi network (at work, at the cafe, etc.) without any problems?

Have you seen a helpful comment lately? Be sure to give it a Like.
If a reply to your question solves the problem, be sure to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Level 2

Yes no problems at all with other wifi connection, the problem only happens with my modem router (TP-Link Archer VR1600v)

JongR

Could you please try the following:

Delete and re-add your TP Link Home Wi-Fi network from your Kogan Agora phone.

Delete a Wi-Fi network from your device

1. Make sure you turn off your TP Link Home Wi-Fi (to prevent phone from rebooting)
  2. Open your Kogan Agora’s Settings app
  3. Tap Network & Internet > Wi-Fi.
  4. If needed, turn on Wi-Fi.
  5. In the list, touch and hold the saved network that you want to delete.
  6. Tap Forget network.

Add the Wi-Fi network again

1. Turn on your TP Link Home Wi-Fi
  2. Open your Kogan Agora’s Settings app
  3. Tap Network & Internet  > Wi-Fi.
  4. At the end of the list, tap Add network.
  5. Enter the network name (SSID) and other security details.
  6. Tap Save, enter your Wi-Fi password.

If your Kogan Agora phone still crashes (and restarts), try reconnecting to your TP Link Home Wi-Fi network while your phone is in Safe Mode.

You can use safe mode to start your Kogan Agora phone with only the original software that came with it.

Some apps that you can download can make your phone keep restarting itself, freezing, crashing, or be slow. If the issues go away in safe mode, an app downloaded on your phone probably caused them.

Refer to below steps on how to enter and how to exit Safe Mode.

Tip: Safe mode removes some Home screen widgets. If you use widgets, take a screenshot to help you put them back after you exit safe mode.

How to go to safe mode if your device is on:

1. Press and hold your phone's power button.
  2. On your screen, touch and hold Power off Power
  3. Tap OK.
  4. Your phone starts in safe mode. You'll see "Safe mode" at the bottom of your screen.

How to go to safe mode if your device is off:

1. Press your phone's power button.
  2. After the Kogan Agora 6+ rainbow start up screen shows on your screen, when the animation starts, press and hold your phone's volume down button. Keep holding it until the animation ends and your phone starts in safe mode.
  3. You'll see "Safe mode" at the bottom of your screen.

To exit safe mode and return to normal mode, restart your phone.

1. Press and hold the power button for a few seconds.
  2. On your screen, tap Restart RestartIf you don't see "Restart," continue holding the power button for about 30 seconds, until your phone restarts.

After you leave safe mode, you can put back any removed Home screen widgets.

Troubleshooting your Wi-Fi while in Safe Mode

1. Turn on safe mode.
  2. Try connecting to the Wi-Fi network again.
    1. Open your Kogan Agora’s Settings app.
    2. Tap Network & Internet > Wi-Fi > the network name.
  3. See whether the Wi-Fi connection works in safe mode.
    • If the Wi-Fi connection works in safe mode
      A downloaded app is most likely causing the issue.
      1. To exit safe mode, restart your device.
      2. Uninstall recently downloaded apps one by one. See whether the connection works.
      3. After you remove the app that's causing the problem, reinstall the other apps.
    • If the Wi-Fi connection doesn't work in safe mode
      Likely, there's a problem with the Wi-Fi network or internet connection.

Have you seen a helpful comment lately? Be sure to give it a Like.
If a reply to your question solves the problem, be sure to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Stewart9643
Level 2

The same issue applys in Safe Mode and Normal Mode. 3 Agora 6+ Phones, all have the same issue. I'm going to try a different brand of router.

• TPG initiated the disconnection of my ADSL 3 weeks before the NBN connection costing me a small fortune in mobile internet bills etc while at the same time cancelling my initial application to switch due to email failure and no attempt by TPG to follow it up. Multiple emails sent by TPG not recieved by myself.
  • The NBN technician they sent around sent the NBN down the wrong cable pair leaving it to me to change all my terminations coming in from the pit. He told my wife to call a phone tech to fix the problem he created. The tech also demanded to allowed onsite at 10am when he was booked for after 1pm forcing a early return home. I am a tech but the job would have cost most people at least $150. As a follow up I discussed this with 2 other NBN techs today. NBN must deliver a tone to the first point. Our tech only delivered to the box.
  • The router which they supply doesn't work with 3 mobile phones which means I am up for more money for another router. Estimated cost $200-$300 plus. My children can't read their work rosters and homework with the current setup. Can't use their phones at all. Worse now than when we had no internet. TPG operator assurred me everything will work as per normal. Why is TPG supplying equipment that doesn't work with all modern equipment? The phones have no issue with any other routers we have tried (7+ routers)

Is anyone at TPG competent at their jobs???

I am regreting the change to TPG already and the NBN only got connected today.