TPG Community

Get online support

new FTTP user, TP Link AX5400 + Google Nest Wifi

James7
Level 2

Hi, Looking to confirm whether there is a better way to set up my home network.

Recently upgraded from FTTN (nbn50) TO FTTP (nbn100) and discovered my yellowing Archer VR100 was capping out around 70 mbs. I previously used this happily for 3-4 years on the nbn50 plan. I also have  a Google Nest Wifi mesh router plugged into the LAN port  - i like Google's parental features as well as the better wifi coverage. I switched off the Archer Wifi 2.4 & 5GHz using the button on the unit, so only the Google SSID was visible.

Wanting a quick fix I ordered the AX5400 thru TPG and now achieve the expected speeds, but would like to check the configuration. Same as before, I've connected the Google Nest Wifi to the new AX5400 via its LAN port.

I now understand that i may not have needed the AX5400 as the Google Nest wifi unit can work directly with the NBN box via the Uni-D port. Is it recommended to do this - set up the Google unit to connect to nbn via PPPOE ? It aint broke, but Im curious what others are doing.

1 REPLY 1
david64
Master

Hi @James7 . With Nest (PPPoE) connected directly to FTTP box, you might be able to make more use of the Nest functionality than if it is connected to AX5400.

FTTP does not use VLAN ID, which is not supported by Nest anyhow. So, no need for AX5400.

Try Nest directly connected to FTTP box and see how it goes. There might be a small increase in speed.

If you ever need more ethernet ports, you can connect the AX5400 WAN port (access point/Dynamic IP) to the Nest ethernet port.