TPG Community

Get online support

port 80 forwarding not working

Joost
Level 2

Hi

It seems that port 80 is blocked on my Archer VR1600v modem lately? I have port 80, 443 and 4444 mapped to (the same)  a internal server. 443 and 4444 work fine but lately port 80 is blocked?

This was working a couple of weeks ago.

I only noticed this recently because port 80 is only used for certificate renewal once in a while. Every port i have tested with seem to be working fine (tested with 3389 and 22 too) with the exception of 80.

sadly letsencrypt needs port 80 to be open to issue certificates. so another port does not work.

did TPG recently start blocking port 80?

Kind Regards

Joost

3 REPLIES 3
Shane

Hi @Joost,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for raising this to us, are you still having issue with port 80? If so, we recommend to change the default ports to any port number from 30000 to 40000 and let us know how it will go.

Cheers!

Hi

It seems that port 80 is blocked on my Archer VR1600v modem lately? I have port 80, 443 and 4444 mapped to (the same)  a internal server. 443 and 4444 work fine but lately port 80 is blocked?

This was working a couple of weeks ago.

I only noticed this recently because port 80 is only used for certificate renewal once in a while. Every port i have tested with seem to be working fine (tested with 3389 and 22 too) with the exception of 80.

sadly letsencrypt needs port 80 to be open to issue certificates. so another port does not work.

did TPG recently start blocking port 80?

Kind Regards

Joost

Joost
Level 2

Hi Shane

Thank you for your reply. All the high ports seem to be working, the issue is port 80 somehow

for example i am able to run a website on port 443 (or 400000) with no issues. The problem is that lets encrypt (and others like that) uses reverse DNS and port 80 to re-issue certificates. without port 80 avalible the certificate renewal will fail. - and no you can't use another port for that -

the strange thing is this was working extremly well for many many months, it only the last renewal cycle (certs get renewed every 6 months)  it failed

hence my question is there a recent change from TPG in blocking that port? every other port seem to working fine

Shane

Hi @Joost,

Thanks for the additional details. I will check this with our Network Engineering Team for further investigation, I will post an update on this thread when it becomes available.

Regards,

Hi Shane

Thank you for your reply. All the high ports seem to be working, the issue is port 80 somehow

for example i am able to run a website on port 443 (or 400000) with no issues. The problem is that lets encrypt (and others like that) uses reverse DNS and port 80 to re-issue certificates. without port 80 avalible the certificate renewal will fail. - and no you can't use another port for that -

the strange thing is this was working extremly well for many many months, it only the last renewal cycle (certs get renewed every 6 months)  it failed

hence my question is there a recent change from TPG in blocking that port? every other port seem to working fine