TPG Community

Get online support

tp-link deco m5 and archer vr1600v compatibility

SOLVED Go to solution
llanito
Level 2

Hi

I bought a tp-link Deco M5 in preparartion for an ADSL to HFC NBN migration. The Deco M5 worked flawllessly with the old ADSL router configured wired to the router in Access Point mode.

I migrated to NBN and was provided with a tp-link Archer vr 1600v modem. I have been totally unable to get these two devices to work together. Even after 8 hours on a chat line to tp-link support. 
Since then I tested by setting up one of the Decos at home with an Netcomm modem  and it was very straightforward with no problems at all.
My question is has anyone been able to configure the Deco M5 in wired AP mode with the Archer vr1600v at all because it seems to me that either:
for some reason in general  the two devices from tp link are incompatible,
my specific device is faulty,
TPG specific firmware or setup is stuffing something up.
Would appreaciate some feedback.

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
llanito
Level 2

I found out what the problem was!

A network loop had been created on one of the switches that connected to the vr1600v. The old ADSL modem ignored it and only shut down the specific interface on which it detected the loop - but the vr1600v is not so finessed and just shuts down all the wired interface ports but did not report any errror. This meant that when the Deco tried to connect and request an IP address it was getting nothing.

Very fragile hardware.

View solution in original post

gvtpun
Level 2

Thanks Shane,

I have got the deco mesh up and running in ap mode. DynamicII P. Main problem seemed to be that I was using the mesh app through a non cellular Ipad to try to set-up the mesh.  Once I switched overto an android phone with cellular data to set it up,it all went without a hitch pretty much.  Thanks for the help.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
PeterW

Hi llanito,

Thank you for your message and for being a part of the TPG Community.

I have attached a link to setting up the Deco M5 in Access Point Mode.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1842/

I hope you find it useful.

Regards

PeterW

llanito
Level 2

Thanks for that info. I followed all those steps. Didnt' work. 

llanito
Level 2

I found out what the problem was!

A network loop had been created on one of the switches that connected to the vr1600v. The old ADSL modem ignored it and only shut down the specific interface on which it detected the loop - but the vr1600v is not so finessed and just shuts down all the wired interface ports but did not report any errror. This meant that when the Deco tried to connect and request an IP address it was getting nothing.

Very fragile hardware.

qwerty
Level 2

How did you find out about the "loop"? Did TPG tech support assist you with this? Is your issue finally resolved?

Btw, I am looking to buy the M5 Deco too. Would you still recommend this mesh wifi router after what you've experienced?

I've also considered Tenda Nova MW3/6 but decided against getting this as its DHCP server does not support static IP reservations.

peterred
Level 2

Could you give us the whole setup. I'm trying an M9 and it won't work. Thx.

gvtpun
Level 2

I was given a Deco Mesh M5 system as a gift when I took up NBN HFC with the archervr1600v a week ago.  But I cannot get it to work with it either.     The router also doesn't seem to provide internet other than on the LAN port 1 and wifi as well.   And Deco M5 will not connect at all.   I too am interested in a step by step solution to this problem.  

BasilDV

Hi @gvtpun

Welcome to the Community!

We were able to locate your account using your community details and understand that the service is online.

Once you've the set up  Mesh as an access point, did you connect it to the LAN port of the TP-Link modem/router? Did you check the link that was provided by @PeterW?

Did you contact TP-Link support to help you set up the Mesh system? If not, please contact them first to guide you on how to set up your Mesh system as your TPG NBN HFC service is working.

Let us know the information that they'll provide for us to analyze it as well.

BasilDV

gvtpun
Level 2

Hi Basil

Yes my HFC is working. .  Actually the 2nd Lan port seems to be working now  but I haven't been able to set up the mesh. Trying out the tplink guide supplied today but I want connect my mesh using ap mode (it seems) to the lan port of the tpg modem router.  What are the internet settings I should use for the connection in the mesh when it asks me.? Should it be PPoe or static IP or Dynamic IP? Also what are the network address for the gateway.  Should it just be 192.168.1.1?

Shane

Hi @gvtpun,

Here are some threads that you may find helpful about settings up 3rd party mesh on our supplied modem.

Yes, the modem gateway is 192.168.1.1, these details can be seen on the sticker on the modem.

Regards,