TPG Community

Get online support

use VX220-G2v to setup a Mesh Internet

jasonwu412
Level 2

Hi, I purchased a TP-Link VX220-G2v from TPG. But I found this routers'WiFi cannot cover all rooms in my property. So I am planning to setup a Mesh Internet.

However, there isn't an "EazyMesh" option in the configuration page of TP-Link VX220-G2v (turn to http://192.168.1.1).

Are there any solutions on cover the WiFi to all my rooms?

12 REPLIES 12
BasilDV

Hi @jasonwu412 

You can connect the Mesh to the WiFi network of the modem/router or use the WPS button.

What type of Mesh are you going to use? What troubleshooting have you tried so far?

BasilDV

jasonwu412
Level 2

Thanks for your reply!

I am going to setup a wired Mesh. I firstly want to be clear about how to config and setup a Mesh environment with VX220-G2v as a main router. Could tell me more about how to config? 

Thanks a lot!

BasilDV

Hi @jasonwu412 

You just need to make sure that the DHCP of the Mesh device is disabled to avoid any issues with the connection.

If it's Wired, then there's should not be any problem. You may contact the support or the manufacturer of your Mesh device to get assistance on how to set it up.

BasilDV

david64
Level 15

Hi @jasonwu412 . Are you keeping the VX220 because you want to use the VOIP phone? 

Or, do you have FTTB/FTTN and you need the RJ11 connection on the VX220?

jasonwu412
Level 2

Hi. No, I keep the VX220-G2v just because I biught it from TPG.

david64
Level 15

@jasonwu412 . Keeping the VX220 as the main router means you lose a lot of the functionality of the mesh units; they function as an access point. If you plan to have a cabled mesh, maybe a couple of wifi extenders will suffice.

jasonwu412
Level 2

Good idea, thank you very much!!!

I am going to buy a TP-Link N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender to have a try.

greenbatch1
Level 2

Hi all, hoping you may be able to help.  I'm having an absolute nightmare getting correctly connected with TPG.

I legally have to have a phone line because we have a lift in the house (currently 2 months without one...).  I was eventually after much back and forth told that we needed a different router with auto configuration for VOIP - enter the VX220-G2v.  Ok, so we have (very average) internet. The phone line isn't working yet, but that's another matter.

Meantime, I can't use my doorbell, or basically anything in the house, because the range is so average.  Previously we always used our modem/router in bridge mode and used a decent router with mesh wifi system all over the house; apparently we can't do that now, due to needing to use this modem/router....

Any suggestions? We don't want to have 7 different wifi names/connections via standard extenders, we want it all on the same wifi network.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Shane

Hi @greenbatch1 ,

Are you still having issues with your home phone service? If so, can you give us more information about this?

Did you mean that the doorbell was unable to connect to the Wi-Fi due to the wireless reception?

If you wish to use a router extension or mesh WiFi system, we can check if it can be configured to work with the current modem or router.

To better understand the situation, could you shoot us a PM with your details?

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

Hi all, hoping you may be able to help.  I'm having an absolute nightmare getting correctly connected with TPG.

I legally have to have a phone line because we have a lift in the house (currently 2 months without one...).  I was eventually after much back and forth told that we needed a different router with auto configuration for VOIP - enter the VX220-G2v.  Ok, so we have (very average) internet. The phone line isn't working yet, but that's another matter.

Meantime, I can't use my doorbell, or basically anything in the house, because the range is so average.  Previously we always used our modem/router in bridge mode and used a decent router with mesh wifi system all over the house; apparently we can't do that now, due to needing to use this modem/router....

Any suggestions? We don't want to have 7 different wifi names/connections via standard extenders, we want it all on the same wifi network.

Thanks Smiley Happy