TPG Community

Get online support

using VX220-G2v and Netgear D7000 for FTTP

mkmthompson
Level 2

Hi there,

I've just got a new FTTP connection setup with TPG and am using the supplied VX220-G2v modem for internet connectivity. I'd like to use my existing Netgear D7000 WAP for wireless connectivity of my devices in my house. I have a CatX patch cable from the Netgear D7000 WAP LAN port to a LAN port on my VX220-G2v and can see both devices, however whenever I connect to the Wi-Fi via the D7000 I get no internet. 

Can you please help me setup the VX220-G2v so that it will allow attached devices to access the internet automatically?

Many thanks!

Mark

9 REPLIES 9
david64
Level 15

Hi @mkmthompson . Have you considered using the D7000 as the main router connected to the FTTP NBN box? You would be able to use all its functions and its better wifi.

The VX220 can be configured as an access point, if it has that setting.

Or, try it as Dynamic IP instead of PPPoE and disable NAT and DHCP.

mkmthompson
Level 2

Hi @david64 . I have had enough trouble getting my NBN to function as it is. I'd like to keep the supplied modem in the garage providing NBN connectivity and then distribute via the CatX cabling to all rooms in my house where I have other switches and WAPs (such as the D7000).

This is how I had the configuration at my previous address with my old DSL connection, and it worked perfectly. I believe I had to put the old archer modem from TPG into Bridge mode to accomplish this, but I can't see a way of doing this with the VX220, hence my request for assistance. 

Do you know how I can do this?

Cheers!

Shane

Hey, I found this thread posted by one of our community users, Netgear D7000 for NBN FTTP try giving it a shot. However, I believe this setup is connecting the D7000 directly to the NBN box.

If you wish to the D7000 as a router extension try to turn on its DHCP mode and connect it to one of the LAN ports of the VX220-G2v

You may use this thread as a reference, Connect Asus RT-AC88U to Hewawei HG659

Regards,

david64
Level 15

@mkmthompson . There is no user manual for the VX220, only the advertising blurb from TP-Link. Since TPG supplied the unit, they may have removed some functions, or some functions may not work as expected.

If you want to bridge the VX220, you'll need to experiment to see if the EWAN interface can be bridged.

Try deleting the ewan link and adding one in bridge mode.

If you can bridge the VX220, then the D7000 becomes the main router, not an access point. 

I still think connecting the D7000 to the NBN box is best solution. The VX220 can be used as an access point. If you use the D7000 as access point, you lose a lot of functionality. You should download the D7000 user manual from the Netgear website.

Some things to consider:
Do you need ethernet connectivity in the garage, or only wifi, or nothing? 

What is the room next to the garage?

You can run a long ethernet cable from NBN box in garage to the next room and put the main router there. Its wifi would probably reach through the wall to the garage if you need wifi there, or run a cable back into the garage. You would need to reposition the cables (from the rest of the house) to terminate in the new location.

The D7000 wifi might have greater reach than the VX220.

You mention CatX cabling. Does X=6 or higher?

mkmthompson
Level 2

Thanks @david64 I think I'd like to hear a solution, at least from TPG, as to how I can configure the model they provided me so that I can integrate it into a wider network. I do need the coverage. I mean, it worked in my last house with the model that TPG provided (Archer). I'm hoping someone can tell me how to configure the VX220 so it will allow cabled connections to it's LAN ports to access the internet.

Yes CatX is a generic term. So long as I don't need > 1Gb link over 100m then Cat5 is suffice, however I believe I have a Cat6 infrastructure in my new premisis.

Many thanks.

Mark

david64
Level 15

@mkmthompson . Good luck getting a reply from TPG.

To check the VX220 in normal router mode, connect your computer directly to a LAN port of the VX220.

Something you mentioned in your first post:

"cable from the Netgear D7000 WAP LAN port to a LAN port on my VX220" has no internet access.

And, "can see both devices". Where do you see both devices?

If D7000 is in Access Point mode, connect its WAN port to the VX220.

BasilDV

Hi @mkmthompson 

I have a CatX patch cable from the Netgear D7000 WAP LAN port to a LAN port on my VX220-G2v and can see both devices, however whenever I connect to the Wi-Fi via the D7000 I get no internet.

- Did you change anything on your Netgear device before connecting it to the vx220? You've advised that you were using it from your previous setup and it worked fine. Have you tried to factory reset the Netgear, then configure it as access point again before connecting it to the vx220?

I'm hoping someone can tell me how to configure the VX220 so it will allow cabled connections to it's LAN ports to access the internet 

- do you mean you are not able to get internet access when you connect a device to the LAN port of the vx220?

I believe I have a Cat6 infrastructure in my new premisis

- if there's no issues within the internal wiring, then the devices connected to the said infrastructure should work given that the other end is connected to the LAN port of the vx220.

You need to check if the LAN ports are working on the vx220 by connecting a computer directly to it first.

If all is working, then you can try to connect the LAN of the vx220 to your Cat6 infrastructure. Test all of the LAN ports in the premises if they are able to get the connection from the router.

Happy to work on this, please correct me if I'm missing something.

mkmthompson
Level 2

@david64 thanks for your reply. I've been away for work, I'll do what you suggest tonight when I'm back home and will let you know the outcome. Thank you!

mkmthompson
Level 2

@BasilDV thanks for your reply. As I mentioned to David, I've been away for work and I'll confirm what you mentioned tonight when I'm back home and will let you know the outcome. Thank you!