TPG Community

Get online support

wifi/second Router advise?

vk3xz
Level 2

Hi I have a data cable in my shed 30 meters away from my Home but cannot receive wifi strong enough to connect my wifi extender. I have another Router could i use it to produce Wifi in my Shed? the laptop and extender cannot find any wifi but the cable connection works because it goes back to the Router in Home. How can I get reliable Wifi in my shed for my Laptop and other device? Could I install a second Router as I have a new one? If so How to do it? Please help as I do't know how to proceed. The device on the wrong side of my shed more than 15 Meters away.  Thanks Mike

2 REPLIES 2
Shane

Hi @vk3xz ,

You have the option to use another router as an extension and connect it to the main modem/router via LAN/Ethernet. We do not know if a Wi-Fi repeater will help but we suggest to check it on Google if it will work.

Regards,

Hi I have a data cable in my shed 30 meters away from my Home but cannot receive wifi strong enough to connect my wifi extender. I have another Router could i use it to produce Wifi in my Shed? the laptop and extender cannot find any wifi but the cable connection works because it goes back to the Router in Home. How can I get reliable Wifi in my shed for my Laptop and other device? Could I install a second Router as I have a new one? If so How to do it? Please help as I do't know how to proceed. The device on the wrong side of my shed more than 15 Meters away.  Thanks Mike

david64
Level 15

Hi @vk3xz . Some extenders can be connected to the router by ethernet cable. Presumably, yours can't.

Some routers have an Access Point mode which allows them to use their WAN port to connect to a main router.

If there is no access point mode, set the LAN ip address of the remote router to say, 192.168.1.2, disable DHCP and NAT, connect the cable from main router to a LAN port on remote router. You can set the remote wifi names and passwords to the same as the main router so you can move between shed and house without having to reconnect.