ADSL to NBN move

SOLVED Go to solution
appecherla2620
Level 2

I signed up for an ADSL connection for 18months in Feb 2017, paid all the inital set up fee etc. Now because of the move to NBN, how is TPG justifying charging me another setup fee in such a short span? I checked that NBN was made available to my building in Sep 2015. So why did TPG make me sign up for a ADSL connection with the cutover date falling within the contract period?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Luna
Level 5

Hi @appecherla2620, I get where you are coming from. I reckon if you don't want to choose to move to NBN right now, just wait. There's a lot of marketing out there around moving to the NBN but you really can wait. Then again, if you would like to move to NBN now (if you want higher max speeds than ADSL or if there's an NBN deal you want to snag), the best bet is to call TPG and check if you can continue your current 13 month contract on NBN Smiley Happy

If as you say NBN first came to your area 5 months ago, you still have 13 months before the ADSL services on the copper network will be disconnected and you will be forced to move to NBN. At that time TPG will have to move you to NBN and won't ask for a contract restart - how can they when you are being forced to move by the government's decision to change the infrastructure from copper to NBN.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Luna
Level 5

Hi @appecherla2620 no need to pay another set up fee. If you move to TPG NBN on an 18 month contract restart there is a $0 fee. Check out https://www.tpg.com.au/adsl and click Extra Pricing Info.

TPG may be happy to let you continue your existing contract term when you move to NBN. Worth calling to ask.

appecherla2620
Level 2

Unacceptable. Why is TPG forcing me into another contract when the previous one isn't over yet? Either continue to provide ADSL for the reminder of my tenure or move me to NBN for the reminder of tenure. I do not want to sign up for yet another 18 months because my experience with TPG has been very unpleasant!!

Luna
Level 5

Hi @appecherla2620, I get where you are coming from. I reckon if you don't want to choose to move to NBN right now, just wait. There's a lot of marketing out there around moving to the NBN but you really can wait. Then again, if you would like to move to NBN now (if you want higher max speeds than ADSL or if there's an NBN deal you want to snag), the best bet is to call TPG and check if you can continue your current 13 month contract on NBN Smiley Happy

If as you say NBN first came to your area 5 months ago, you still have 13 months before the ADSL services on the copper network will be disconnected and you will be forced to move to NBN. At that time TPG will have to move you to NBN and won't ask for a contract restart - how can they when you are being forced to move by the government's decision to change the infrastructure from copper to NBN.

appecherla2620
Level 2

I can wait but I received a letter from TPG that DSL will be disconnected on 10th November 2017. I called TPG and all I get each time is I have to pay the setup fee again or go for a new 18 month contract. So what happens to my old 18 month contract? Either TPG continue to provide the ADSL service for the remaining tenure of my contract or smoothly transition me to NBN without penalising me. Or if I have to pay for NBN setup, I have not asked for disconnecting my ADSL service so isn't it common sense that TPG refund my setup fee paid for ADSL?

IT IS TPG's FAULT IN SIGNING ME UP FOR AN ADSL CONTRACT WITH THE TENURE EXTENDING BEYOND CUTOVER TO NBN 

Prubster
Level 2

Hello @appecherla2620,
I to am very disappointed with TPG's offer. I have been incharge of the internet connections at my households for the past 10 years. I agree that setup fees for existing long term customers is clearly a money grab.
I to are refusing to commit to a 18 month contact as i may be moving in the next 12 months.
You should look into a company called Belong. There setup fee is fare less than TPG. They have slightly higher monthly costs, but these costs are still shadowed by TPG's cost even after 12 months. I've done the maths.

If TPG doesn'y value us as customers, why should we stay loyal to them.
I'll be swapping to Belong in the next few months as soon as the NBN is avaliable.
Frankly i've been putting up with TPG for to long anyway. I've replaced the lines in my house twice in the last 7 years because they told me that's why my ADSL connection was bad.
They are happy to get paid every month for a sub-acceptable connection. I already feel they owe me hundreds of dollars for not being able to supply me with a connection stable and over 2mb/s connection.

This "new" setup fee is just the last straw.