TPG Community

Get online support

Bad connection to Microsoft Cloud PC using TPG 5g

stempowski
Level 2

Hi All

I have recently received my TPG 5g modem and everything is working great, super fast except when I try to work on my remote Windows Cloud PC. I am able to connect, however the connection is very slow and intermittent. However when I connect via my phone's 4g I experience no issues. 

I believe this could be due to TPG 5g using CG-NAT? Is there any way to resolve this or do I need to find a different ISP?

Thanks

Anj 

5 REPLIES 5
david64
Level 15

Hi @stempowski . CG-NAT used on 4G and 5G wireless broadband stops you from connecting in to your home network from the internet. Port forwarding cannot be used. It doesn't affect internet browsing as you have said you get great speed.

What is the situation with the Cloud PC? You can't connect into it from the internet due to CG-NAT. Or, do you not get a stable connection to the Sagemcom router? Is it ethernet or wifi?

You can check the 5G products from other providers regarding CG-NAT.

To avoid CG-NAT, change to a regular NBN connection.

stempowski
Level 2

@david64 wrote:

What is the situation with the Cloud PC? You can't connect into it from the internet due to CG-NAT. Or, do you not get a stable connection to the Sagemcom router? Is it ethernet or wifi?

Thanks for helping David. 

My laptop connects to the Sagemcom router via wifi. When I then connect to my remote work "Windows Cloud PC" the connection is very slow and unstable. Is there any config I can do to fix this?

david64
Level 15

@stempowski . How does the laptop go with just internet browsing?

Have you run a speedtest on it?

Which wifi band does the laptop connect to, and what is the wifi speed between laptop and Sagemcom? The laptop wifi connection properties should say.

Having made the connection to the Cloud pc, in what way is it unstable? Do you get breaks in the connection? Do you have to reconnect? Or just not responsive?

TPG say that 5G is not suitable for gaming. I'm wondering if the operation of the link to Cloud pc might have some  characteristics of gaming.

stempowski
Level 2

Hi David

How does the laptop go with just internet browsing?

Have you run a speedtest on it?

Internet browsing is fast, no issues at all.  

Yes, speedtest is consistently good. Typically: download: 125mbps, upload: 15mbps

Speed is not the issue because when I connect to my remote Cloud PC using my phone's slower Telstra 4g I have no issues.

Which wifi band does the laptop connect to, and what is the wifi speed between laptop and Sagemcom? The laptop wifi connection properties should say.

Network band: 5GHz, Network Channel: 100, Link Speed (receive/transmit): 390/390 (Mbps)

Having made the connection to the Cloud pc, in what way is it unstable? Do you get breaks in the connection? Do you have to reconnect? Or just not responsive?

After connection to the Cloud PC, it may work ok for a minute and then becomes unresponsive for 2 min, then later starts responding again. I do not have to reconnect.

Thanks again so much for helping

david64
Level 15

@stempowski . Do you know the ip address of the Cloud pc or can you find out?

If you do know it, do   tracert   to see the network path.

You can use 2 ping commands to check the path to the Cloud pc. Do this without connecting to Cloud pc.

On laptop, open 2 command windows. In one, do   ping -t 192.168.1.1

This continuously pings the Sagemcom LAN ip address.

In second window, do   ping -t Cloud_pc_ip_address

(Use Control C to stop ping.)

You can just leave these to run. First one will just continue; response time a few ms. If there's a problem in the external network, the second one will just timeout or get long response times, but will eventually recover.