TPG Community

Get online support

Connecting ASUS RT-AC68U to NBN

SOLVED Go to solution
BasilDV

Hi @trangmyto

Welcome to the Community!

If you are using the Netcomm NF7, then it means that the NBN technology you have is FTTP (Fibre to the Premises). For this type of technology, you don't need to set the VLAN ID to 2.

Make sure that your device is running on a 'Router only' mode, then configure the PPPoE with your TPG username and password. Make sure that you have the correct UN and PW by logging in here.

You may use this article as a guide: How to set up TP-LINK C1200 modem for Windows 10

BasilDV

trangmyto
Level 2
it is running in router mode PPPoE

and its not connecting, does the server side need to disconnect for me to switch to new device?

also how do you tell if your premises is running which type of NBN technology?

i was going to test the modem on another premises running huawei HG659
BasilDV

Hi @trangmyto

Here's an article that will guide you on how to check the service technology you have. (New Connection Setup Help)

If your third party device can't communicate with the server, then you need to contact the manufacturer to check if you have a faulty device or if they need to make further changes.

You may also check the manual of the device for further assistance on setting it up.

BasilDV

trangmyto
Level 2
hi,
i have just tested with the other premises

it using HFC, i simply connect the router, and it connects with the same account without having to fiddle anything, not even login to the router to change the username to the premises B.

so the router works instantly on HFC, but have trouble with FTTP.

Shane

Hi @trangmyto,

The router will instantly connect on NBN FTTP since it does not require to modify the VLAN ID of the router, but if you wish to use this router to NBN-HFC you have to set up 'VLAN ID 2' to work with TPG NBN.

For additional reference please see this thread Alternate router to use on HFC.

Let us know how it will go and should you require further assistance.

Regards,

hi,
i have just tested with the other premises

it using HFC, i simply connect the router, and it connects with the same account without having to fiddle anything, not even login to the router to change the username to the premises B.

so the router works instantly on HFC, but have trouble with FTTP.

redthor
Level 2

this is brilliant.

Instructions are exactly the same for ASUS RT-AX3000

proteuswong
Level 2

HI i have a FTTB and have attempted your procedure but couldn't connect

BasilDV

Hi @proteuswong

If you are going to use the ASUS RT-AC68U to your NBN FTTB service, then it will not work as it is a router only device.

You have the option to use it as an access point instead.

If you want to use a third party modem/router, you need to make sure that it is a VDSL modem/router in order for it to work with the NBN FTTB technology.

Please be informed that the bundled phone service will not work with a third party device.

Stay safe.

BasilDV

peterswat
Level 2

Hi Anthony has the Asus router improved the signal throughout the home or have you noticed other significant improvements and what are they? I have been contemplating upgrading from the standard TP link supplied by TPG.

dbeahan
Level 2

Thanks Anthony.  I wish I'd found this earlier.  I've been on the phone with TPG for a week trying to get my connection working.  Just this afternoon someone from the TPG Engineering department told me that the RC-AC68U couldn't be used to for my HFC connection.  Thankfully I found your advice and it worked perfectly.