TPG Community

Get online support

Connection to existing landline wiring

BlueNeezy
Level 2

My house has 2 existing landline ports reached by internal wiring

My previous Optus connection ran a cable from the modem to a junction point socket in the wall to connect to the existing landline wiring.

The NBN installer did not do this and so I only have the one landline connection directly to the modem.

Can you please fix this by providing a new junction socket at the wall that will connect ot the new modem.

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
peter_k

Hi

With NBN there is no longer any dial tone on the line. The Homephones are using VoIP (Voice over IP).
and to use your homephone you have to plug the phone into the Voice port on the modem.

What most people do if they want to have more than one phone in the house is to purchase a Wireless Phone System and plug the base station into the modem. The other remote handsets can then be positioned anywere through the house as they only require a power point to work.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Peter

BlueNeezy
Level 2

Hi Peter

Thanks for reply but unfortunately it doesn't help

I don't want to "purchase" a wireless phone system

I want to connect the phone socket on the modem to the existing landline cables in my wall (as was done with previous Optus connection)

It just needs a socket (or whatever it is called) connecting to existing cables

I guess I should have checked with TPG before I signed up

TPG say it's an NBN install issue - NBN says it's a TPG issue so the usual going round in circles

Final insult from NBN is that I have to pay for an installer to do this

Thanks

Neil

PeterW

Hi Neil,

Thanks for being a part of the TPG Community.

For your existing phone wiring to be utilised you will need to have a modification done to your home wiring isolating it from the incoming line. A ACMA licenced cable can do this for you, I have attached a link to the Registered Cablers website, I hope it helps.

http://registeredcablers.com.au/index.php?id=1

Regards

PeterW

BlueNeezy
Level 2

Hi Peter

Thanks for reply - but as mentioned in last para of previous post I realised that this is what I would have to do - i.e. pay for a separate installer

Foolishly I assumend that NBN/TPG would have sorted this out rather than blame each other.

With my previous install with Optus - they just just installed the connection without asking.

Guess I should have stuck with Optus.

Or like everyone else - forget landlines

Thanks 

Neil