TPG Community

Get online support

Difficulties connecting to my new NBN modem

Majamo
Level 2
Hello! I received my NBN12 SL BUNDLE on Friday but so far I am unable to make it work. I have watched the instructional video that TPG sent as a text message and tried troubleshooting but the 4th button(LAN) doesn't light up at all.

My Customer number is 5109234

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
david64
Level 15

What type of nbn connection do you have and what model router?

Can you upload a photo of the two boxes connected up?

Majamo
Level 2
Thank you David.
I am not sure what they're called but I have attached some photos, hope you can make sense of it.
Thank you!
Maja
BryanR

HI@Majamo ,

From your pics, the cable currently plugged in is a RJ12 line cord.

NBN NCD (Network Connection Device) needs a RJ45 to RJ45 data cord to go from the NCD to your modem WAN port.

Your modem needs to have a WAN port (some modems on LAN port1 (Yellow port 1) but generally is a Blue or RED port.

It may pay to check if your modem has a WAN port/ WAN capable port.

Regards

BryanLevel 1

david64
Level 15

The cable between the NBN box and the wifi router is wrong.

You have to use the cable with the larger plug (RJ45) between the two boxes. You used the proper sockets on each box.

Also, this router may not be suitable for NBN. 

Try using the proper cable but if still not working, use the supplied router with your bundle. It should just work.

Majamo
Level 2
Hi again TPG,

I recsponded to your last message however did so via email, but it is not visible in this chat.
I have now ordered the RJ45 cord and it is connected showing an amber light however still not connecting me to internet. You mentioned in your last email that we should use to supplied router with my bundle. I used the router I received from TPG when we initially received the modem so I don't understand what's wrong here.

Please advice.

Pics attached.

Thank you,
Maja
david64
Level 15

In your picture, the cable from the white nbn box should go to the single grey socket on the black box. 

The group of 4 yellow sockets is where you plug in your computer.

david64
Level 15

Sorry. I might be wrong. What is the model of the black box?

Can you get a better picture of the back of it.

david64
Level 15

That black box is the wrong one. It is an ADSL router not right for NBN.

Use the one that came from TPG. It is probably an Archer model.

Majamo
Level 2
Hi David, both of these I have gotten from TPG. The black one was from when I first got WiFi with TPG many years ago and the white one was posted to me two weeks ago. I didn't receive anything else with the NBN Bundle other than the white box, a power cord and a data cord.

Will you be able to send me a compatible box as you're saying I should have from TPG already?

Thanks