TPG Community

Get online support

Extending the cable that connects my telephone wall socket to DSL port on the back of the modem

Level 2

How can I extend the cable that connects my telephone wall socket to DSL port on the back of the modem? How long can the extension be and what kind of cable can I use?

3 REPLIES 3
orbistat
Level 8

Hi @6293375 Can you provide some more info such as is you're on ADSL or FTTN NBN (VDSL)? What sort of extra distance do you need and what type of wall connector are you extending from IE: RJ45 or RJ11? A close up picture will be helpful if you can't readily identify it.

Level 2

Thanks for your help. I bought some RJ12 to RJ12 4 core modular lead and that seems to be compatible. I just needed an extra 10m of cable lead so I could bring my TP-Link Archer VR1600v modum downstairs during hot weather where it is cooler. It tends to heat up when left on for a few days. But no problems yet. I'm on FTTN NBN and still getting 46Mbps even with the 20m lead. Let me know if this is OK. I will eventually get someone in to do the job more professionally, but this is OK for now.

orbistat
Level 8

Hi @6293375 That's good news that you're sorted, the extra 20m shouldn't make much of a difference if it's a reasonable quality generic phone/modem ready made cable, try and avoid running it parallel with power extension cables and don't leave the excess coiled near interference sources such as TV's and PC's etc.