FTTC Activation Steps

SOLVED Go to solution
Level 3

I recieved the nbn box and modem yesterday.

The instructions with this said I should plug it all in (and disable my functioning TPG ADSL ) and wait for 1/2 hour. I tried this. Only two lights ever light up blue on the nbn box. The DSL and LAN lights do not.

I recieved an email on Tuesday saying my application had progressed and that once I recieved the nbn box and modem I should unplug all ADSL and phone and plug in NBN box and modem an *then* within 24 hours I will recieve SMS confirmation of connection.

It has been ~8 hours.

I have recieved no SMS saying anything about activation.

I am confused about the process. Am I supposed to disable my ADSL for 24 hours and hope NBN is switched on?

Can you please advise? I have limitted 4G and would prefer not to use it for general internet.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RajenS

Hi @4636231 

Great, your are now connected TPG Fast NBN 

Username: cam***************
CustID: 4636231
Company: TPG
IP: 14.20********** 
CallerID: AVC000********
20min avg. speed: download 41Kbits/s, upload 56Kbits/s
Connected at: 2020-06-01 16:57:55
Connected for: 16h 13m 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Level 3

I have read conflicting advise. Do I need to leave the NBN box on (and my ADSL off) in order for the activation to progress?

Am I waiting on TPG and/or NBN Co to do something to activate it? Does the NBN box and new modem need to be running for this?

I really need internet back up, either ADSL or FTTC, for work purposes.

Will leaving the NBN box running hasten the activation of NBN or should I just switch ADSL back on and wait for contact from TPG?

david64
Level 15

Try this overnight on Saturday night and Sunday night. If it doesn't work, go back to your adsl until Monday.

Unplug the adsl router and filter/splitter and any phones from the outlets in your house. 

Connect the nbn box to the wall socket. Then ethernet cable from nbn box to wan port on wifi router. The LAN light might come on.

Leave overnight. If the DSL light on nbn box stays off, looks like there is more work to be done elsewhere.

Level 3

Thanks David,

I still have no DSL light on the NBN box. I think the advice TPG provided via email was just wrong.

This site

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Broadband-Internet/NBN-Fibre-to-the-Curb-FTTC-Setup-Guide/td-p/7856

Says to wait for confirmation from TPG that my NBN service is active before switching on the NBN box.

I think that NBN Co and TPG need to press some buttons before it will work.

I am guessing that area is understaffed just like their customer service.

RajenS

Hi @4636231 

Welcome to TPG Community!   please PM Best contact number, I will get someone to look at your account 

Thanks 

Rajen

RajenS

Hi @4636231 

Arranged NBN tech to home, shortly you will receive scheduled date 

Thanks 

Rajen

RajenS

Hi @4636231 

NBN tech visit scheduled

Updated: 25/05/2020 09:19

Appointment time slot: Wednesday, 27 May 2020, 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM

Thanks 

Rajen

Level 3

The NBN tech just arrived and told me that there is no fibre signal for my whole street or for neighbouring blocks. He didn’t know what the problem was or how long it would take to fix.

Can TPG please provide some more information? How long is this likely to take?

Level 3

Has anyone else experienced this? How long did it take to fix?

It is FTTC on newly rolled out NBN in my area.

I get no DSL light at all on the NBN box.

The tech said he thought it was maybe damaged cable somewhere in the street.

Level 3

They fixed it the next day. All good now. Thanks Rajen and Peter for your help.