TPG Community

Get online support

HFC installation in block of units

JimmyFlawless
Level 2

Hi there,

Apologies if this question has been asked before.  I have been a customer of TPG for many years and have just moved house. I notified TPG, and booked the installation at my new place which was scheduled for last Thursday.

I have moved to an apartment block where the NBN service is delivered by HFC. In all of the apartments, there are Foxtel dual wall plate outlets.  According to my neighbour most of the units have the NBN service connected to one of the two Foxtel sockets. The Foxtel cables go into the attic of the building, and the NBN HFC cables are somehow connected to one of each Foxtel cable for each unit.  This would be great for me too, since the Foxtel plate is in my lounge where I want the modem/equipment to be.

However, I also have an NBN socket in a bedroom, which is on the other side of the unit but not a location I want to use.

Unfortunately, when the NBN cabler visited last Thursday morning he refused to connect the Foxtel port to the NBN service.  He told me that he wasn't allowed to touch Foxtel cables and the NBN would have to come in through the bedroom. I told him that the bedroom socket wasn't convenient and I refused the installation. He got quite annoyed and made a phone call, and then left.

Later in the day, another NBN cabler visited. I explained the whole situation to him, and he seemed more accommodating. He went off to find the manhole cover for the roof space. However after a while he came back down and told me that he couldn't find the right Foxtel cable and couldn't do the connection. In other words there were lots of Foxtel cables, but they weren't labelled so he didn't know which one to disconnect and repatch to the NBN service.  He then left telling me that if he couldn't do this, probably nobody else would be able to either.

Therefore, the first NBN guy wouldn't do it, and the second one couldn't do it.  What should I do now?  I have rearranged the connection appointment for this Friday, but I don't want the same thing to happen again. I don't think it's a difficult request. As I said, most of the other units in the block are connected in this way - using one of the Foxtel ports.

I realise that this is probably not the fault of TPG, but NBN, but any advice gratefully received!

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Riezl

Hi @JimmyFlawless, we have located the account using your community details. We can see that your concern has been escalated to our Provisioning Team.

We have forwarded your message to ensure that the next technician who will attend the installation is fully aware of the situation.

Our Provisioning Team will continue to monitor your case and you will be contacted by the Case Manager once a report from the technician is received.

JimmyFlawless
Level 2

Great, thanks Riezl for your help!  I will let you know what happens.

Riezl

Thank you, @ JimmyFlawless. We'll also monitor this and keep you posted for any updates.