TPG Community

Get online support

How do you get customer service with failed HFC installation process

kennos
Level 2

Some weeks ago an NBN Contractor came to my house to install a HFC NBN Connection.  I did not want the modem/routers installed under the TV so requested another location.  The contractor advised The NBN could be connected under the TV but as he is a "Plug & Play" guy he is not licensed to run a "lateral" cable to the requested location.  My service request was then sent to the NBN "Triage" section.  

Nothing further happened.

I called TPG and I could fill this page with detail, but in summry; I have been sent multiple misinformation emails from TPG and spoken to "support staff" who insist the "lateral" cable problem is a External Network Shortfall in the External or Core Network.  Resolution dates are ignored and deferred.

At this time I have facilitated a "lateral" cable to the desired location at my own expense and continue to communicate with TPG support staff but it seems impossible to schedule an appointment for the installation.

How do tou get through all the inept proceses to get a simple HFC connection scheduled

8 REPLIES 8
Riezl

Hi @kennos, we're sorry to know that you're having issues with the installation and we apologise for the inconvenience this is causing you.

We have located the account using your community details and we can see that the issue has been escalated to our Provisioning Team and Complaints Resolution Team.

We have made a follow up and will have the case manager contact you as soon as a new update becomes available.

kennos
Level 2

Below is the correspondance TPG sent to me on multiple occassions. 

The correspondance was sent even though I had previously explained (verbally and in writing)  that the NBN contractor advised me the connection is already at the house and only needs an internal lateral cable to be run. I have advised TPG that an internal lateral cable has been installed at my expense.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have been advised by NBN that your order has been placed on hold due to the following reason:

External Network Shortfall

What is it?

Additional work within the NBN network is required to complete your installation. This work can sometimes be complex and requires technician with specific skill set or equipment working across multiple days.

The most common reasons for this shortfall is the Lead-In Conduit (LIC) which is the underground path where the fibre runs along is damaged, blocked or doesn’t exist.

This additional work is required by NBN and would apply for all Internet Service Providers. There is no cost to you as NBN will be completing the work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remediation dates come and go but TPG are still unable to advise me when an installer will come to the house to complete the work.  

Question 1: Why does TPG/NBN insist there is an External Network Shortfall when the NBN connection exists at the premises.

Question 2: Why are TPG/NBN processes so badly managed that this absurd situation is allowed to perpetuate without intervention

Question 3: Should future TPG/NBN Customers expect similar levels of ineptitude

Rica_R

Hi Kennos,

It has been advised that lateral cabling is required to connect this premises into the nbn HFC network. This work includes providing the pathways and also connectivity from the premises to the network. At this time remediation is still ongoing.

Further details will be provided when more information becomes available.

kennos
Level 2

Thanks for your response which respectfully is incorrect nor does it answer the questions raised in the previous post.

As for the detail in the response. please refer to the picture attached which shows the connection box at the side of my house. 

1. The photo displays the network connection from the premises to the network which you say does not exist

2. The photo displays the lateral cables in my house which you say does not exist. One of these lateral cables goes to the required location for the NBN Connection Box. 

3. Nearly 4 weeks has elapsed since the NBN contractor advised the connection was "ready to go" but he only has a "plug and play" license so could not complete the internal cabling  

4. There has been no attempt to do any remediation work at my premises

Questions:

1. Why do TPG/NBN keep responding with boilerplate answers?

2, Why don't TPG/NBN actually get a technician to inspect/review the premises

Riezl

Apologies, @kennos.

We work with NBN Co. to provide this particular service and we rely on their update.

Nonetheless, our Complaints Resolution Team and Provisioning Team will continue to chase the matter with NBN Co. to fast track the resolution.

kennos
Level 2

Progress Update…….another phone call

1. TPG advised…TPG have sent the photo I provided to their delivery partner (NBN). The photo clearly shows the cable that connects my premises to the NBN HFC is installed. TPG advise installation cannot be scheduled as their delivery partner (NBN) says remediation work is required. 
  2. TPG/NBN will fail to meet the resolution date….again!
  3. TPG/NBN will fail to find a solution to the case raised to the Telecommunications Ombudsman by the required date.
  4. After nearly 4 weeks of dispute involving at least 10 phone calls and multiple emails, TPG/NBN still do not accept that my premises are connected to the HFC. Even NBN’s  own contractor says the connection is in place and a photo of same has been provided.
  5. My TPG Installation Status is “A technician has been scheduled to complete the installation on Thursday 27 June between 8am and 12:00pm”
  6. TPG suggested ”I go to another NBN provider”
  7. Late update...TPGs Delivery Partner (NBN) is awaiting their delivery partner.
  8. After this customer experience I have now sold my ASX TPG shares
  9. Until someone shows some real intiative I raise the white flag….I surrender!!!!
Riezl

We have forwarded your concerns to our Complaints Resolution, @kennos.

Another follow up has been made to NBN Co. and once the final report regarding the technician is received, the case manager will contact you.

kennos
Level 2

On 25/7 a network contractor attended my prmiseses with an order to install a new cablle between my house and the HFC street Network.

The network contractor was a little confused as the cable already existed.  I had previously sent a picture of the cable to TPG but obviosly that was ignored along with everything else I had told them about the installation.

The network contractor then tested the signal on the cable at my premises.  He said "great signal strength on the cable....why hasn't the service been installed.  I said "Yes, I have been giving that information to TPG for the last 4 weeks and have been repeatedly ignored"

The network contractor said "you need to get an NBN contractor to install your modem".  I said "yes, I have been trying to do get TPG to do that for the last 4 weeks"

This message has finally found its way to TPG/NBN and they have offered to install my service in about a week.  

Over a dozen phone calls, multiple emails, photos provided and general frustration, and 5 WEEKS DELAY.  

This is a perfect example of total failure of broken business practices, absolutely no initiative or capability to solve problems, and not the remotest concept of customer service.