TPG Community

Get online support

Installation of NBN and Getting Connected

joshuahopz
Level 2

Hi TPG Team,

I had an appointment for an NBN technician to come to my property to install NBN for FTTN between the hours 1pm - 5pm and for someone to be home during that time. I received a text message at 1105am saying that NBN installation was complete. When my wife got home, she connected the modem that I have from a previous NBN connection, pre-set up by TPG as well from a previous property (DSL port to the phone port in the wall with a telephone cable). No lights come on apart from the power light on the modem. 

My questions are: 

1. Why did the technician come outside of the allocated window? Does this not defeat the purpose of having an allocated time window, as often times lives are rearranged around being available during those appointment times?

2. In previous text messages and emails, it states that someone > 18 years old should be available. Why is this the case if the technician just came and left without anyone knowing? See below from TPG website. 

"On the day of installation

When the installer arrives at your property, ensure you check their ID before letting them inside, to ensure they are a contracted NBN technician. The next step is for your installer to complete the copper cabling and check that your premises is properly connected to the NBN."

3. How do I know if the technician even came to the right property, or even did anything?!

I have since called customer service line and been told that the modem is not the issue, to leave the modem and phone cable plugged in, and that engineers will be in contact in the next 24 - 48 hours. This really isn't good enough when there are so many alternate ISPs ready for business. I sincerely hope that I will receive a phone call with some update tomorrow. 

Regards,

Josh

1 REPLY 1
BasilDV

Hi @joshuahopz,

Welcome to TPG Community!

To answer your query:

My questions are:

1. Why did the technician come outside of the allocated window? Does this not defeat the purpose of having an allocated time window, as often times lives are rearranged around being available during those appointment times?

- There are instances that the NBN technician that was assigned to install the service is just within the area, which is why they were able to do the job sooner than the provided appointment time.

TPG doesn't have any control with the actions of the technicians of our third party provider (NBN Co), but we appreciate your feedback and will forward it to them.

2. In previous text messages and emails, it states that someone > 18 years old should be available. Why is this the case if the technician just came and left without anyone knowing? See below from TPG website.

- We were advised by our third party provider that someone needs to be on the premises for the installation, however, it seems that the technician recognized your address to have the infrastructure in place in which they were able to finish the installation on the Node.

3. How do I know if the technician even came to the right property, or even did anything?!

- Comparing the provisioning address that we have and with the NBN data, it seems correct.

We understand that the case is being handled by our NBN Engineering team and an NBN technician visit was booked for further investigation to make sure that the service is working through the 1st wall socket.

You will be updated by your assigned Engineer as soon as we have additional information. In the meantime, if you have any further enquiries or require general information on the matter, contact us here and we'll be sure to get this coordinated for you.

Kind regards,

BasilDV